• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 conversion

S

Simon Wingrove

Hi Guys

Good to see this forum working well, hope it works as well in Old Blity.

My question is, which UK cars with Fords V6 are best for conversions. Granada Scorpio Cosworth sounds good but Im not sure which cars over here have 3 port exhuast heads, 60 degree Vs etc, etc.

Late Capri/Granadas have been mentioned.

I'm looking for about 200BHP.

Cheers
Ex Holbay Alpine & Tiger owner
Si

O

odl21

i'm sure i'm not the best person to respond, but you can ignore the later 2.9's. i think any 2.8 (granada) is fine but i'm sure one of the experts will chime in.

S

Simon Wingrove

Thanks for the reply.

I agree the Granada 2.8 is the way to go with a T9, alley bellhousing from a Sierra and overdrive prop, as recommended by V Mad. Unfortunately though the 2.8s over here only have 2 exhaust ports per head!

Do you know why a 2.9 Cosworth is a problem to fit? It seems nobody here knows why it wont, but its an easy to find, cheap 210bhp.

Cheers
Si

O

odl21

i seem to remember jose saying the exhaust ports make it impossible to build any headers without changing the alpine steering.

i was originally looking for a v6 alpine myself before i eventually bought a tiger (or maybe its an alger... :eek: )

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Simon, as I understand the situation, the two outlet exhaust is very much a good news/bad news thing. The bad news is you can't use Jose's headers. The good news is the third port is the problem child. The two port engine should be a lot easier to fab headers for. I dunno, might even be able to use the stock manifold. A real problem with using the stock manifold would be the high probability of of a direct hit by lightening.

Bill

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Simon, are you talking about only two ports or one double (siamesed port) and one single? The Cologne V6 uses the latter. I think the English cars used something called the Essex 2.8 (from what I've read); not sure how they differed from the German-built engine.

S

Simon Wingrove

Headers fouling the Alpine steering is a possibility. However the US mostly had 3 port heads as I understand. Is this not the engine you use? From what your indicating you use the 2 port head. If the 3 port heads can be used, the Cosi heads, although I think are slightly larger, I imagine would be similar. Ive made a complete non crushed bend exhaust system before so fabricating a new one shouldnt pose too much swearing. I'll do a bit more digging for dimensions.

The electrics would be a problem, do I keep the fuel injection etc. Maybe I'll get a Tiger or stand on the top of hill flying a kite in a storm. Alternatively a drag racing freind of mine wants me to fit a big block with NOS cos he thinks even the Tigers are for girls.

Cheers

S

Simon Wingrove

The siamese Cologne 2.8 V6 is what Id use. It replaced the Essex which had 3 ports but is heavier and lower on BHP. The names come from where the engines were made.

O

odl21

its not hard to get more power than a tiger can handle from a small block ford (without nos). tell your friend that drag racing is for girls - there are no corners. :p

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Simon, I can send you photos of the Cologne exhaust ports in case you're confused on this. Send me an email. The kits work with the "siamesed" ports.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Simon, I can send you photos of the Cologne exhaust ports in case you're confused on this. Send me an email. The kits work with the "siamesed" ports.
Hi Sam,

Actually, the siamesed ports leave the heads with just two ports, because two cylinders use the same port. The Cologne 2.8 V6 has three distinctive ports, although two of them are side by side, where the other heads had the two cylinders exhausted through just the one port. This particular port arrangement suits the Alpine, because there is no exhaust port in the way of the steering arm. The 2.9, 3.0 and 4.0 V6's have adifferent port arrangement, which puts the rearmost exhaust port on the drivers side, right in the way of the steering arm, so it is impossible to put a header tube there.

The Euro spec Cologne 2.8 V6, has just two ports, because of two of them being siamesed. This clears the steering arms and steering box quite nicely. The fuel injected model of this engine produced 160 hp. Making headers for this application is a lot easier than trying to fit three pipes in the cramped Alpine engine bay.

You might want to contact Chris Spain, Who lives in London. His e-mail address is:

c.spain@supanet.com

He has done this conversion on his Alpine, and he says that it was relatively easy. I think he would love to show you his Alpine. I'm sure that you would find it very interesting.

Jose :)

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
I think I get it. My engine has, on the driver side, toward the front a port with two side by side holes close together, and to the back a port with one hole. Since the heads are identical, on the passenger side, the single-hole port is to the front, and the two-hole port is toward the back.

On that water outlet question, my block has studs with nuts and washers in it, just no outlet. I'll look at NAPA this weekend.

Forgive me, all, if I added to the confusion.

V_Mad

Donation Time
Hi Guys
Here are a couple of pics to show the ports on the UK Granda type engine, and my first go at making headers.