• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 Alpine

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
The frame

Interesting X-frame modification for exhaust...
Ken

Hi Ken,

Yes, you have to wonder how strong the frame would be when you cut the bottom chord totally out of the car.:eek: The frame also looks to be a little rough in areas.

Andrew

skywords

Donation Time
The box has been compromised. The web that was welded in place would need to be 1/4" or more to put the strength back in the box. I wonder why they did not use a bridge under the exhaust like I've seen so many times before making the box as strong or stronger than original.

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Real GT?

:eek:
Hard to tell but if its a true GT then they had to do some adding and make a hold for the soft top. Wonder if they have the metal caps to cover the hold with? You can buy the hardtop separate and the car will still not be a GT, wonder if it has Jose kit for the V6?
I hope whoever buys it becomes a part of this club ;)

Donna
:D

Andrew

Donation Time
The frame

Who ever purchases the car, I hope they do a little "X" frame work. It would be sad to see the car or better yet someone hurt during a drive.

I would assume that it would be the same as it is here in Canada; As soon as a car changes hands that car must go through a safety check. Is this the case in the US?

Andrew

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Who ever purchases the car, I hope they do a little "X" frame work. It would be sad to see the car or better yet someone hurt during a drive.

I would assume that it would be the same as it is here in Canada; As soon as a car changes hands that car must go through a safety check. Is this the case in the US?

Andrew

Depends on the state. In Indiana, if the car has an out of state title, the VIN has to be verified by the local police. Other than that, it is simply a trip to the license bureau to buy the plates and have the title transfered.

Bill

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Donna,

This is a pretty Alpine, but it isn't one of mine. It is running a 2.6 V6 and my kit only fits the 2.8 V6. It also is running a Ranger transmission, which I do not recommend. I didn't look at the underside of it either, but if he has cut the cruciform incorrectly, to pass the exhaust pipes under it, he has really violated one of my most important principles, which is to never cut structural members, unless you are going to strengthen it again.

I hope whoever buys it, will fix the cruciform again.

Jose :)

:eek:
Hard to tell but if its a true GT then they had to do some adding and make a hold for the soft top. Wonder if they have the metal caps to cover the hold with? You can buy the hardtop separate and the car will still not be a GT, wonder if it has Jose kit for the V6?
I hope whoever buys it becomes a part of this club ;)

Donna
:D

Alpine66

Donation Time
Frame Cut

Anyone have pics of a well done frame mod for the exhaust cut out?
Seems to me if the center of the frame had been cut leaving the bottom cord intact, with a round pipe(larger than the exhaust) at 90 deg to the frame welded in -would make a very strong piece.
Comments?
James

Andrew

Donation Time
Frame

I am not a structural engineer but I deal with Architectural framing every day and it is a no, no to cut the bottom chord out of a joist or structural member. The only support that the car now has is the top flat member of the "X" brace and a possible 1/2" of vertical frame on each side of the "X" brace. I would think that the car has lost more than 4 times its strength. I don't think I would design a frame using flat bar so this can not be good. I am 6'-1", 220lbs and I would hate to see what would happing if I jumped up and down a couple of time in the center of the car. I would gusset the sides of the frame allowing the exhaust to pass through and then weld bottom plates along each gusset. I am sure some other fellows must have done this type of work in the past?
Just in case some of our members do not see what we are talking about here are some small images of the cut frame. I think this would be a real problem and it would not pass a proper safety check here in Canada.

Regards,
Andrew

View attachment 421
View attachment 422