• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 Air cleaners

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
This has probably been asked and answered before....anyone have a suggestion as to the best air cleaner to use on the Darksider V6 conversion, one that can clear the bonnet when it's closed? Thought I had it covered with an oval air cleaner from Speedway Motors, but it is too tall and I would have to cut the bonnet and install a scoop to make it work. This is my second V6 conversion and using a different air cleaner on the first one, I still had to make a scoop to allow the top of the air cleaner to clear the closed bonnet.

I am aware of a V6 Buick or possibly other GM engine that uses a drop down lower plate that allows the total air cleaner package to sit about an inch or so lower on the carburetor, but even if I can find one, am not sure if it will clear the accelerator rod. I am sure somebody out there has encountered this problem and has figured out how to make it work. Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Are you using the Offenhauser intake with a Holley 390 4 barrel?

I haven't tried to fit my hood yet and that is what I am running.

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
Yes on both....390 Holley on top of the Offenhauser manifold. Presently have oval air cleaner 12 x 8 x 2". The filter is 2" tall. Might work if I can find a 1" filter element but so far it's like looking for chicken lips. Have been all over the internet looking for ANY one inch tall filter elements with no luck. I might try going to local auto parts stores and see if I can find a short element then find a top and bottom to fit. I think the last one I did was a 10" round one, but do not remember the height of the element.

kmathis

Donation Time
Hi,

This is what I did; I had the same problem and I couldn't find any air cleaner that would fit without a hood scoop; so, I went to Spectre Performance and bought this. It is a "build your own" type of a deal, so I bought the hat, and the two piece snorkel and it has a cone K&N type filter that fits in the intake, then the wing nut to hold it all down.

Now; on my car, (after paint and a hood scoop) I have a regular K&N 11" filter, so the Spectre could be for sale, should you desire it.

If you are interested, I could send more pictures, so you know what you are getting. I think I have about 200 plus dollars in it, but would let it go for substantially less.:)

Last edited:

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

I always used a recessed base base plate air cleaner and was able to use a 2" tall air filter without having to cut a hole and putting a scoop on it. Ask for a dropped base plate when you go looking for the air filter housing. Most base plater sit about 1/2" above the air horn of the carb, and a dropped base plate sits about1/4! below it, just enough to allow the hood to clear.

Jose

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I've seen Kelly's and it's a clean set up. If Jim doesn't want it I'd be interested.

If nothing else, I want the part numbers so when the time comes I can duplicate it.

kmathis

Donation Time
Jose, is right, and I had, at first used a 3/4 drop base air cleaner for my conversion, however I had the smaller distrubutor with the small cap, and then I changed to the distributor with the large cap, and then the drop base wouldn't fit. So, if you have the smaller cap distributor the drop base K&N filter should fit, I think mine was a 14" as well and still fit without hood modifications.:D

Alan F

Donation Time
Jim,

My brother just bought me this for my conversion and it fits fine. It has a 2" filter and an offset bottom. I was real concerned about finding something and looking at it wasn't sure it would fit. it seems to work fine and has some clearance to the hood in the front. It 's also larged enough diameter, it clears the throttle linkage.

Alan

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-4339/all

MRG-4339 Low Rider A/C 14"

dmich2

Donation Time
Cactus. Here's my set-up. It uses the dropped bottom plate. It's a K&N set up I found at AdvanceAuto.
sunbeamkn002.jpg

sunbeamkn001.jpg

Dennis