• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

unudentified racing alpine

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I am thinking that is the Alpine Jan had and the venue is the Pittsburgh GP event the previous weekend. However, I am not positive.

Steve

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
That is Jan's old alpine.... it was raced by a lady in Indiana in Lake Blue. I don't recall the new owners name though.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
WOw, thats great. He did alright.
I would like to see it in Lake Blue, in its original racing colors. But, thats okay, its he's car now.

dangardnerthree

Donation Time
hi, my name is dan gardner from scranton.pa and that's me running the alpine at the pittsburg vintage grand prix in july where i won "best drive in class". i did buy this ex race car from the sixties from jan servaites three years ago . a basket case, needing much body work. irestored the car and my first event was summit point last nov. i'm surprised neither jan nor ian could remember who i am, since i had numerous conversations with them during the restoration. anyway this ex race car is brought back to life and is back on the track, and what a great car it is, i'm having a blast. i got to race with rocco in his alpine at the new jersey vintage grand prix last weekend.thanks

dangardnerthree

Donation Time
i'm glad to be racing the car again. when i was restoring the alpine i was able to get in touch with judy plonkey who raced it in the sixties in the midwest , we had a nice conversation and she told me her husband, at the time ,also raced it. his name was jack burt and he was a b prod champion driving an ac cobra. when they divorced he ended up with all the racing memorabilia. he since died and judy was going to see if she could get anything from his daughter. apparently she couldn't. i'll have to get in touch with her again and show her the ressurected alpine. how bout the incredible volumn of photos ed hyman takes,that's only one of three pages of the event. they're great photos also. he does this at almost every vscca event. amazing. thanks dan

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I'd like to know how this car is now prepped.

Engine build, carburettion, axle setup and type, any other non-stock adders for the race experience.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Dan,

Congratulations on your best in class drive. The number 40 car is beautifully prepared if nothing else. It would be great to see some close up pictures of the interior and engine bay if possible.

Regards, Robin.

dangardnerthree

Donation Time
the alpine is pretty much stock as it raced per scca regs back then, stock trans., rear end,brakes,wheels,ect. when i had the motor rebuilt, i had it balanced . it has a roll bar ,dunlop racing tires, 5 point harness and a foam filled gas tank. all in all pretty stock but tons of fun. it's pretty fast. sorry i can't post any engine compartment or interior photos,i'm not computer savvy enough to do it. thanks

dangardnerthree

Donation Time
ran the 2 zeniths for the first three events, but at pocono and watkins glen ran lousy, wouldn' t accelerate, missing ,so changed to one weber for pittsburg and along with another ign. tune up ,car ran great. no overdrive and whatever the stock axle ratio was in 61 is what's in the car. thanks

alpine_64

Donation Time
ran the 2 zeniths for the first three events, but at pocono and watkins glen ran lousy, wouldn' t accelerate, missing ,so changed to one weber for pittsburg and along with another ign. tune up ,car ran great. no overdrive and whatever the stock axle ratio was in 61 is what's in the car. thanks

What kind of weber.. 1x DCOE or DGV? As for axel ratio.. if the car had OD originally it would have had 4.22.. if not 3.889... now.. if it had period race history it may have either of those installed.. or another ratio..

RootesRacer

Donation Time
What kind of weber.. 1x DCOE or DGV? As for axel ratio.. if the car had OD originally it would have had 4.22.. if not 3.889... now.. if it had period race history it may have either of those installed.. or another ratio..

Hence the question.

I myself have a 3.89, 4.22 and 4.55 gearset.

Period racers would have swapped between 3.89 and 4.44 depending on track.

Factory cars often used the fragile overdrive and high numerical ratios.

dangardnerthree

Donation Time
it;s a dgv weber and never had overdrive so must be the 3.89 ratio, seems well suited for the tracks i;ve run. especialy the new thunderbolt track in new jersey

RootesRacer

Donation Time
never had overdrive so must be the 3.89 ratio

Thats one hell of an assumption. It ignores broken parts and shadetree mechanics. My own alpine was sold to me with a 4.55 mid 50s hillman spiral bevel axle in place, that ratio was never even available on any series sunbeam but still it came in the car.

The 4.22 axle ratios are very common particularly in the later cars, many came with 4.22s even without overdrive.

Anyhow it doesnt take much to spin the driveshaft and know for sure.

Nowadays just about all surviving tracks are going to favor the top speed attributes of cars like ours so you really are going to want to be geared for the 3.89 and possibly even 3.70 for some long straights if you find yourself bouncing off the rev limiter or max RPM for any length of time.

mototron

Donation Time
Hey Dan
How are you ?
How was Sunday Racing in NJ ,I should of stayed there but Ray Wanted to leave .Are you going to race anywhere this Winter ,I would of liked to Race you but I was in group IV In NJ .
I would bet that you Have 3:89 Gear ratio in the rear .Your rpms would have been alot higher at the end of the Straightaway I was turning about 5800 rpms in 4th and I have 3:89 gears
Hope to see you out there and anyone else from this forum
Rocco
#86 61 Alpine