• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

United 35 Norcross, Ga

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Anybody looking for a great time head here, weekend after Labor Day, in addition to the Atlanta British Car Fayre, a show that has been growing every year(this year aims to be the biggest yet) TEAE will be having their 35 th annual United get together .Get the facts here http://teae.org/united-35-2016/
TEAE have over 50 cars registered for the United..
The guys for SAOCA in this area have been pushing this show for years, maybe with the strength of TEAE maybe we can have a larger turnout next year.

Come on down or up there's plenty of room and things to do.

tom j

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The DuraPine will be there, needs a good driver for the autocross. It needs a good driver that can push it to see how good it is now that it has a decent suspension. All I know now is that it is better than I am. THAT is a pretty low bar.

Bill

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Bill-you need to ask Doug Jennings. He will be there without a Sunbeam and is a great driver! Eric

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Bill-you need to ask Doug Jennings. He will be there without a Sunbeam and is a great driver! Eric

I talked to him about it at Dayton. He looked at the car, declared it a hot rod and declined. While I have improved it somewhat, it is and always will be assembled of OEM, not race engineered parts. I think that bothers Doug.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
united

Bill,
I think you'll find Doug hesitated because of the work you've put into the car and what if he broke the engine. Your car is not the typical alpine. Jean talked to him about auto crossing the green car in 2013. He knew the entire car was new including the engine and trans. He told us that the manner in which he drives would waste the bearings after about three runs. Those of us that have been around for several years know that he races cars that are built to take the punishment he gives a car. A couple years ago he drove a tiger so hard that the doors were popping open.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
All I know is what he said. The engine has a hard rev limit of 6750, which is pretty much stock (stock max hp is at 6500), so the engine should survive. Don't know if the doors will stay shut.

He was really turned off by the sliding caliper brakes. Personally, I feel that brakes that are okay on a 4,000 lb vehicle should be fine on an Alpine. But he is right, none of this stuff is up to racing standards. But then it is not a race car.

While it has massive stopping power, there is no boost, the pads are ceramic and not nearly as aggressive as high performance pads. I feel that is appropriate, considering the intended use of the car. It is just a matter of individual standards and expectations.

Bill

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Just registered my Series 1 Alpine and my Tiger. This will be one heck of a gathering of factory Alpines, v6 and other Alpines plus Tigers and "rare Rootes."

I've been lucky to participate in Invasions and Uniteds as far away as Minnesota and Maine in the East, and California and Washington in the West and believe I can guarantee that signing up will be well worth it.

Personally I'd be happy to see more Alpines as well as the other models.

I may have to tow my Darkside Series 1 as it blew the rear seal, dumped 5 quarts of oil, and did damage during the maiden test drive just recently.

More on that later.

For now, I hope to see you and your Alpine - or any Rootes car - in historic Norcross, Georgia - weekend after Labor Day.

Registration remains open at the TEAE web site:

http://teae.org/united-35-2016/

Don't have a car at the moment - come anyway and have some fun.

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Allan, I too have discovered troubles. Leaking left rear wheel seal. That means only one thing, the wheel bearing is out of alignment enough to disrupt the seal and the bearing will fail soon. The only fix is to cut off the bearing housing, realign and reweld. Fortunately, I have a spare bearing and a few days. Hope it is enough! Busy today, will start Sunday morning.

Damn, but I have gotten so I hate pulling that heavy SOB!

Bill

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Allan, I too have discovered troubles. Leaking left rear wheel seal. That means only one thing, the wheel bearing is out of alignment enough to disrupt the seal and the bearing will fail soon. The only fix is to cut off the bearing housing, realign and reweld. Fortunately, I have a spare bearing and a few days. Hope it is enough! Busy today, will start Sunday morning.

Damn, but I have gotten so I hate pulling that heavy SOB!

Bill

Good Luck, Bill.

I look forward to seeing you'all in Norcross.

A couple of buddies are helping reinstall the T-5 plus a new rear seal, but the T-5 is resisting our best efforts.

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Got the axle out, bearing housing sawed off and cleaned up. Also made the alignment sleeve (wood) and called it a day. Molasses on a cold day. Should get the welding done and start on buttoning it up today. Removing the bearing might be a challenge, the axle is a tad too long to fit in my press. Might have to wait until Tuesday to finish that part. But if everything else is done, it will be small job.

Barb's comment this morning "Sure hope you get the Alpine done soon".

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
My Commodore Blue '67 V6 is running....

But, idles rough! Need to fine tune and get the vacuum hooked up.

Sure hoping to get her ready for the United in Norcross, GA.

DanR

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Housing welded on, rear end installed. Have to get the bearing press work done tomorrow and wrap it up and we're ready. At least mechanically.

Its amazing, fifteen years ago I thought it was hard work, muscling a "loaded" 8 incher into the Alpine by myself. Now, it is even harder work, using a floor jack and a helper!

HELP!!

Bill

Stephen

Silver Level Sponsor
Bill hope to see you in Norcross remember I drove that little rocket in Dayton you can get in trouble quick in Ga on 85 lol I'll be there

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Fine tuning my V6 Holley 390

I was able to get a new upper water hose today that fit around the alternator and brace arm and miss the fan belt too:D

Got one vacuum hose from the distr to carb and seemed to help idle and running some.

Good oil pressure:D.

Seems to be a bit hot though!

Starts fair, but a bit sluggish at first....

Drove it around some, T5 shifts good, hyd clutch seems fine too! I made out real good with the initial adjustments in that area, I am very happy with that aspect!!

Still need to bleed the brakes.

First gear is not as "low" as I expected. Pulls in 2nd great even as it needs tuning badly:eek:.

Got a bit of an exhaust leak around the headers. CAIN'T FIGURE... Will give that another look tomorrow.

I'll get back on it tomorrow making ready for the NORCROSS!

DanR