• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Unique: One Owner 1960 Sunbeam Alpine Series 1 #B9004224LRX4240 **BACK ON THE MARKET**

1-owner series1

Donation Time
**After a very happy sale agreement, sadly the new purchaser died suddenly. I'm looking once more for that special buyer who seeks a great running, quality restored, 1-owner Series-1 Alpine.**

COMPLETE ORIGINAL CLASSIC - photos posted in this Forum's Gallery, see below.
1980’s highest quality restoration to original condition
Maintained and driven since 1988 whenever the roadway is dry
Accident-free, low mileage, well-loved, clean and no rodents!

Original equipment: all glass, steering wheel, seats and upholstery, dashboard, gauges, tonneau cover, wheels, wheel covers, windows cranks, gas filler cap, windshield wiper arms, mirror, hard top, horn, jack, owner's manual (well stained!), most of owner's toolkit.

HISTORY
First owner: my husband Nick Francis, pilot stationed at RCAF Base Greenwood NS
Received off the boat at the docks in Halifax, Nova Scotia, spring 1960
  • 1960-63 driven all over eastern Canada and New England in summer and winter
  • ∼1963 driven to Ottawa, garage storage
  • 1981-84 major restoration, Alan Griffin’s classic auto restoration shop in Ottawa, ON
  • Installed Series 5 engine block 1725cc, retained original manifold and carbs
  • Body work steel-fabricated by Scottish panel-beater (see photos); no body filler
  • All new hoses, wiring, rubber, etc.
  • Basecoat/clearcoat in Alfa red (deeper than original Carnival red)
  • 1988 trailered Ottawa-Vancouver (Galiano Island) on custom-built tandem axle flatbed trailer; inspected and licensed ever since with BC collector plate B05-396
  • 1988-2019 continuously driven and maintained in road-worthy condition, under cloth dust cover in garage
  • 2011 authentic soft top cut and installed by Geoff Horsfall’s shop, Duncan, BC
  • 2017 minor repairs, heater rebuilt by David Gilmour’s BMC Motors, Vancouver, BC
  • 2018 relocated to dust-free, dry underground parking in Vancouver, BC
WELCOMING OFFERS for a unique car in wonderful condition and an authentic original restoration. For the right buyer, this is a dream come true at any price. Interested parties may contact me for more information at shawslanding@mac.com Please spread the word to serious buyers.

ABOUT the Sunbeam Alpine Series 1 - from teae.org/field-guide-to-sunbeam-alpines

The first of the finned Alpines, this model was introduced in October 1959 and produced until October 1960. 11,904 were built, and most were exported to the USA. The new Alpine set a trend for refinement in low cost British sports cars which was soon copied by Triumph, MG and Austin Healey. The car used a modified Rootes sedan engine with an aluminum head and dual Zenith downdraft carbs, a soft top that could be hidden by special integral covers and the first available wind-up side windows offered in a British sports car of that time. Roll-up windows, convenient soft top. and American styling influence made it popular in the USA.
  • High fins, angled like ’57 Chevy
  • Low (4″) roll-up window guide post
  • Horizontal spare tire over gas tank
  • All chrome bumper guards
  • Rear edge of roll-up window is curved
  • “Bubble” shaped hardtop with wraparound rear window
  • Soft top stored under folding louvers

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Its a very nice looking si alpine with a nice story to it. However while being 1 family owned the car has deviated from original in a few areas and in detail as can be seen in the photos.

It has has extensive rust repairs which appear to have been done well in the photos.

Does it still have the original block with it? Is it original transmission? Does it have overdrive?

I wish you well on the sale and hope it finds a good home, but i feel you are descriving and pricing it at the level of an original survivor car.

Just my .02

1-owner series1

Donation Time
Thanks for taking a look and posting your comments. It's hard to say goodbye to this beautiful car.

As described, our 1980s restoration included swapping out the original block for a Series 5 block (no, we didn't keep the original). Transmission is original, no overdrive. We replaced carpeting, dash padding and cover on the console box, but the seat upholstery is original.

The body was entirely stripped, all rusted metal removed and refabricated, so new steel wheel wells, inner and outer rocker panels, etc etc, with photos to document. The restoration shop in Ottawa was a class act, run by an English father and son who were Packard enthusiasts.

I wonder what else you see that's not original. I certainly don't want to mislead a prospective buyer! Thanks for your advice.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
If you get that kind of money for the car, please come back and let us know! I'd love it if Alpines are getting that kind of money - as I just actually posted elsewhere my pessimism about Alpine values.

1-owner series1

Donation Time
If you get that kind of money for the car, please come back and let us know! I'd love it if Alpines are getting that kind of money - as I just actually posted elsewhere my pessimism about Alpine values.
Hi Jay, For your interest, I've just dropped the price to C$45,000. As you say, Alpines in such a condition may not be attracting their true value. You know and I know how much quality restoration like this is worth. I remain convinced my S1 is unique on many levels, not least its condition and provenance. I hope you let your contacts know about this opportunity. Best, Carolyn

1-owner series1

Donation Time
Hi SAOCA members and connections... I found a great new owner in Europe, but sadly he died before he could pick up the car and take it down to family living nearby in Seattle. So now back on sale. Car is running great. I'd appreciate your help in finding that "right" buyer. Thanks!
Best, Carolyn