• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Under bonnet lamp

sunalp60

Donation Time
Does anyone have a picture of the Sunbeam under bonnet lamp kit #5220127 that was an accessory for Series II and above?

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Lucas Boot Lamp NOS 54057141
p.jpg

Not sure if this is it, I was told these were mounted on the trunk lid to light up when it was raised?
It is actually a mercury filled switch that is off in the horizontal position and on when vertical.

sunalp60

Donation Time
Thanks Eric. I picked up a bonnet lamp at Fall Hershey meet last year. The seller thought that it came from a Sunbeam or MG. It has a mercury switch but has a silver cup around the bulb. Might still use it.

Under Hood Bonnet Lamp.jpg

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
So when the post office says anything hazardous......... you gotta say yes :( Some old bicycles had a ball bearing that completed the connection for a brakelight. Nice thing to have surely never wondered why some cars had them as they were not the most reliable. Like the sales pitch gone bad. "Put a Dodge in your garage," buy one and that's where your's will be, must've been Chrysler influence ;)

Last edited:

Limey

Donation Time
I think this is the one? Unrestored early series. (some light recommissioning) Its not a thing of beauty...

Under bonnet lamp.JPG

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
This is how the underbonnet lamp for Series 1 looked like. Not sure whether it changed for Series 2 though...IMG_20190820_213224.jpg

65beam

Donation Time
No, but look at the hood latch, the bolts holding the heater core/latch cover, the area where the hood prop is secured. These have all been painted and should not be painted. If any other parts of the car needed repair it's possible those areas look the same.

Limey

Donation Time
The car is untouched inside. And almost untouched under the bonnet
Some ancient paint is not of interest to this discussion. However you were very clever to spot it. Well done

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
In the photo the mount for the light fitting looks like it is mounted upside down on the slam panel above where the heater matrix lives. Surely it should be the other way up and mounted to the latch fixing that is on the bonnet, that way it illuminates the engine bay when the bonnet is up? I have never owned an early Series car and don't know the correct answer for where the light should be but that just looks wrong to me.
Tim R

alpine_64

Donation Time
I thought i had seen a photo of a similar lamp mounted on the distributor side of the engine bay.
Tim if the lamp was mounted the other way it would likely be hit by the bonnet when closed, also would more likely just light your face not the engine bay.

That said.. The location shown the light would be blocked by the rocker cover and filler neck... Strange location in general.

Limey

Donation Time
Bernd's illustration is the correct lamp it seems so maybe the bracket in my picture is a period well made homemade item?

Oliver

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Unfortunately not. My illustration is just from the early Series 1 accessory leaflet. However in the text a "kit" is mentioned, so it could well be that the bracket was actually included. It's also interesting that the picture of the lamp was ommited in the follower Series 2 accessory brochure so my theory is it wasn't a hot runner...