• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Under-bonnet lamp SIII GT

Finaddict

Donation Time
I am restoring a SIII GT and would like info on the under-bonnet lamp.
What does it look like (photo if possible).
Where does it mount?
Where do the wires run?
How is it switched?

Thanks much. I have what I believe is an original lamp, but would like to verify.

Rex

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
Boot Lamp

I bought this boot lamp and the seller said it was original. Mercury swith inside operates light based on position. That is all I know about it.

Attachments

• Boot LampSwitch.jpg
    Boot LampSwitch.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 51

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
I think the Boot Lamp was different than the Bonet Lamp. Because of the closed angle vs the open angle of the Boot, you can see how well this murcury lamp would work.

65beam

Donation Time
GT

I just bought the same lamp from the same seller and it would be hard to use it for the engine compartment as paul mentioned. the only car I have ever seen with an under hood lamp was tiger tom's series 4 GT and if I remember right the lamp was mounted on the firewall area and had a switch to manually turn it on. i'm thinking the lamp was removable and look like a trouble light. this car had every option available. TT probably sold that car twenty years ago and it went to Canada. the car was green and came from the factory with a silver hard top.

Rootes 66

Donation Time
Taken from an early Alpine accessories brochure, It mentions switch and lamp.
Not anything I've ever come across.

Attachments

• Copy of $(KGrHqJ,!r!FJTINR!rRBSbR1lh1Ug~~60_58.JPG
    Copy of $(KGrHqJ,!r!FJTINR!rRBSbR1lh1Ug~~60_58.JPG
    3.9 KB · Views: 66

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
That (Referring to Rootes 66) light assy looks very familar to me. My '65 SIV GT BW35 had something like that but don't at present remember where it was mounted. Don't even know where I put it for storage either.

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
That (Referring to Rootes 66) light assy looks very familar to me. My '65 SIV GT BW35 had something like that but don't at present remember where it was mounted. Don't even know where I put it for storage either.

Dan, given your car was a Gt you dont think yo might be thinking of the Gt interior light above the rear view mirror?

$(KGrHqEOKnIFJsdd!WwgBSfYf)Hq6g~~60_12.JPG

$T2eC16hHJGEFFmWe52!IBSfYfw6Gu!~~60_12.JPG

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm not sure Michael. Just a faint memory after taking it apart for storage about 25 years ago.

Now that I'm working a bit on her perhaps I'll find some of the "good" stuff.

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hey Dan,

That is a rear view mirror (GT cars) light that comes off and open as you open the doors and can be turned on by the pull switch. The one you are showing in the picture is perfect. Most of them get the lens melted over time. You will need the door switches which are actually screws for the door hinges on both sides. The wiring actually runs along the inside windshield rubber. Try to find it. It really is a cool when mounted and working.

Cheers,

Finaddict

Donation Time
Thanks for the info on accessory lights. It will be interesting to check for these at SUNI. I just mounted the interior/courtesy light behind the mirror. I had no knobs for the switch, so I adapted a couple of heater control chrome knobs. Looks pretty good.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Todd, I have the door switch (Hinge screw) and could not figure exactly what it was used for. Took some PIC's for safe keeping.

Thanks,

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan, You will need two of them. One for each door. That could be a tech session at our upcoming Sunbeam Gathering in 2014.

Cheers,

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
Rex,
My Alpine Workshop Manuals wiring diagrams do show the bonnet lamp and switch as separate units, separated by a bulkhead connector/indicator/insulator symbol. This indicates that the switch and lamp are in different places. All optional electrical circuits are illustrated with dashed lines, so this lamp must have been available on other (non GT) Alpines on special order.

My SIV Owners Manual (small booklet that fits in the dash pocket) shows all the standard equipment for my car; that was also true for my 1963 SIII.
Therefore, you should have or acquire the Owners booklet for your GT and it should include the bonnet lamp and switch location and function.

Can you confirm whether your bonnet lamp matches the picture of a bonnet lamp posted by Rootes 66?

Finaddict

Donation Time
The light I have is totally different. It is a bare bulb in a socket with a sheet metal bracket and a 5 ft. 2-wire lead with plastic sheath. No switch or Lucas branding. I will be inspecting cars at SUNI for this & other accessories. Thanks for responding.