• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Turn signal switch

jmahall

Silver Level Sponsor
Does the little tit on the shaft do anything other than position the switch assembly. My switch is off horizontal to the low side so the trim cover isn't centered.

Thanks

Attachments

• turn switch.jpg
    turn switch.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 49

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you're talking about the arched piece of metal coming off the shaft,
that's the self cancelling arm. You have to position it so that when you turn the wheel, it
turns the signal off after you've made the turn.
Hope that helps!

jmahall

Silver Level Sponsor
No, sorry, it's the little 3/16" maybe, protrusion that the switch clamp covers. See arrow.

Attachments

• turn switch.jpg
    turn switch.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 45

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
The band on the turn signal switch should have a hole that matches up to the bump. It's for proper positioning and to prevent it from moving around.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Does the little tit on the shaft do anything other than position the switch assembly. My switch is off horizontal to the low side so the trim cover isn't centered.

jmahall,

Are you aware the turn signal switch lever can be mounted to the right side of the column in an Alpine?

1962_sunbeam_alpine_1618545971208495d561962_sunbeam_alpine_161854596965ef66e7dff9f9876469bd7ef-6540-45ec-a346-0f289e6e8eae-aKSWln-scaled.jpg

Last edited:

jmahall

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks for the info.

Mine came with it on the left. Doesn't mean it factory correct. Just looked up "Sunbeam Alpine dash boards" on google and there seems to be right and left on both right and left drive cars. Easy enough to flip it and reverse four wires. This car is car from "stock" anyway.

Attachments

• Steering 3.JPG
    Steering 3.JPG
    245.2 KB · Views: 24

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for the info.

Mine came with it on the left. Doesn't mean it factory correct. Just looked up "Sunbeam Alpine dash boards" on google and there seems to be right and left on both right and left drive cars. Easy enough to flip it and reverse four wires. This car is car from "stock" anyway.

Yes, many have been changed. Also, a fair number of Alpines have a lever on both sides, one of which is for OD.

If you change it, you shouldn't need to change wiring because the switch operational movements wont change.

Hope this helps,

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for the info.

My Series V is factory with the turn signal on the left and my OD switch is on the right.

jmahall

Silver Level Sponsor
Let's not start a feud. I was on a Lotus Seven forum for years and some folks could get all upset if your chassis was the wrong shade of gray.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Let's not start a feud. I was on a Lotus Seven forum for years and some folks could get all upset if your chassis was the wrong shade of gray.

I was simply agreeing with your post that you might find it on both sides. I wasn’t DISagreeing with anyone…

No argument, too much time, too many PO's, and too many conflicting examples. I can think of too many possible ways the switch location might be located on one side or the other - starting at the steering gear assembly manufacturer. The issue seems more "If it fit before, why not now?" I didn't see jmahall knew the switch was mounted on the left until I asked about the right side possibility. Since something seems to have changed between disassembly and now, I'll ask if it's possible the outer steering column was clocked differently when the steering box was reassembled?

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don, (Husky Driver) , it appears to me that the Alpine in the photo you posted has a non-stock turn signal cover and perhaps a no-stock switch as well. See this photo from Mike Hartman's site. I think this is actually an OD switch located on the right side, but I am using this to show what stock Alpine steering shaft cover and switch mount looks like. The cover in your photo shows a quite different cover.

Tom

Attachments

• 20150109-002-OD-column-control-200x200.jpg
    20150109-002-OD-column-control-200x200.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 27

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don, (Husky Driver) , it appears to me that the Alpine in the photo you posted has a non-stock turn signal cover and perhaps a no-stock switch as well. See this photo from Mike Hartman's site. I think this is actually an OD switch located on the right side, but I am using this to show what stock Alpine steering shaft cover and switch mount looks like. The cover in your photo shows a quite different cover.

Tom

Tom,

I concede.

I would say that many things are not correct on the whole car for the image I found.

jmahall's car appears to be a sI or sII. His steering column appears to not be adjustable by his picture - no exposed splines. Appropriate for a sI or II.

The image I posted is T/S on the right with the correct column covers for an early series Alpine that should match jmahall's parts. It's wasn't meant to be an example of what's correct, but a question of "is this what existed at disassembly?".

Now the question to be answered is why did jmahall's parts fit properly at disassembly but not now? I'm thinking jmahall has already been given a possible solution for his dilemma.

Image of early Alpine column cover:

1960_sunbeam_alpine_1625127171cd208491960_sunbeam_alpine_1625127170e7dff9f98764da5fdc6e30-c858-4654-b50a-935665889da7-3hDWea-scaled.jpg

Last edited:

jmahall

Silver Level Sponsor
Yes, the car is a series II, clam shell shaft cover, the switch was on the left when I found it in non-running (16 years with water in #1 cylinder) condition.
Turns out it wasn't even a good "parts car". Got it from a neighbor who parked it when the head gasket blew. The only good stuff was the suspension bits and trans. Body in horrible shape. Still, as I was looking for a "project" in November 0f '99, it's kept me busy in retirement and "lock down". Also helping keeping Rick at SS afloat$$$

Attachments

• 1-1 November 2019 a.JPG
    1-1 November 2019 a.JPG
    443.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 12-Jan 4 2021 c.jpg
    12-Jan 4 2021 c.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 21
  • 22-Sept 11 2021.jpg
    22-Sept 11 2021.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 22

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don, Michael, Oops, my error. Guess I had forgotten that SI,II had a different clamshell cover.
Tom