• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Turn Signal Issue

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
I have been living with a tempermental turn signal condition for a couple of years. Maybe a couple of fresh minds can figure out what I am missing.

If I raise the stalk to signal a right turn, my blinker will work maybe 50% of the time. If I lower the stalk to signal a left turn, it works every time. But.. If signaling right doesn't work, I can "trick it" by signaling left, then quickly switching to right - that works every time (but probably confuses the hell out of anybody behind me).

I have checked the grounds (since that's the first place to start on every electrical problem) and they seem good. I have had the switch apart several times - there doesn't seem to be any visible corrosion on the contacts, and the parts seem to be aligning properly- In my mind I have ruled out this being a mechanical issue.

The intermittent nature of the problem is puzzling.

So forum members what an I missing??

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Do you have good contact of the bulbs in the sockets? Good grounds there, too? (I'd run a wire, anyway...) It could be that there's not enough power flowing thru the circuit to flash the flasher on that side. (Assuming you have a traditional bi-metal flasher, and non-LED lamps.) Does it work better then the brake lights are off, rather than on? Next time you're in the switch, verify continuity from the contact buttons thru to the wiring connector 'downstream' while wiggling the wires gently. Do it with the little wire in the steering column, too. If a wire is broken within the insulation, a slight force may force it together one way, and apart the other.

You might try switching the existing bulbs from one side to the other, and see if the problem follows the bulbs. If no joy, put 'em back, and then switch the wiring connectors so the 'wrong' side flashes. This will check the wiring after the switch's harness for problems.

In the meantime, use hand signals just in case they're not working when you need 'em.
(I like the fact that, when it's dark, you can turn around and see if the rear lights are working while you're in the driver's seat. Few other cars offer that degree of visibility.)

Ken

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
It could also be the contacts in the switch itself. These weren't the most robust switches and sometimes corrosion and just plain dirt make them sticky.
Hope this helps.
Cheers!
Steve

Duke

Donation Time
I have the same issue an know exactly what the problem is.

Did you replace the plastic return spring thingy (PRST)? I did and this problem started with me and signaling left. The metal contact that straddles the PRST and sits on a small spring is the culprit. Mine was a bit loose when I replaced the PRST and so I squeezed the legs together a bit so it would sit in the channel on the PRST better and not become dislodged when moving the stalk. This created a small arch in the contact which effectively shortened the contact. So what is happening is that sometimes you are moving the stalk up enough to make contact with the required "tits" other times you are not. When you signal left and then quickly right, that contact is being put into a position that it then makes contact while turning right.

You need to take apart the switch and carefully bend the contact so that it makes good contact with the "tits" each time.

HTH's

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'd check the cancellation tab thing on the steering column to make sure it is in the correct position.
Also, years ago, I had temperamental blinkers and had to run individual ground wires from the front blinkers back a good ground spot. I am sure this is not the correct way but it has worked for many years. Maybe thry this on the side that is not working.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
I got around to looking at my turn signals last night. The metal straddle piece was cocking and not making contact. A gold star to Duke for calling this one from several states away! I was able to take the switch apart and make the neccessary modifications. Someday I would like to buy a new one, but the prices on ebay are freightening. Some people have pockets that are a lot deeper than mine!
Thanks to all who contributed!

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
I am with the run a wire as a ground from the blinker fixture to a good spot. I've done this on all the Alpines I've owned over the years w/ great success - and a VW beetle too.