• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tunnel Modifications

JR66

Gold Level Sponsor
Series V 2.8 liter V6 with T5 and Dan R's install parts. I did the tunnel widening & have engine & transmission temporarily installed. Ready to start rebuilding the tunnel and could use some advice from the experienced. Someone on the forum a while ago recommended replacing the shifter so I bought one like he suggested but I can't find the original posting now. Here's a photo of the shifter with the larger diameter section that holds the stops. I'm trying to figure out the best height for the top cover relative to the transmission. I'm planning to use the original top cover. Is it best to have the cover down close to the shifter? Or have more clearance between the top cover and transmission? Or increase the top cover hole diameter and have the round part of the shifter extend through the cover? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• shifter.jpeg
    shifter.jpeg
    552.3 KB · Views: 18

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have found that cover placed close to shifter ball works best. As the cover moves away from the shifter, the shifter motion is no longer changes of angle, but is travel. Both fore and aft as well as side to side. The rubber cover is not designed to accommodate travel.

Bill

JR66

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Bill, that's helpful. I guess I'll try to position the top tunnel cover about ½ inch or so above the large round section of the shifter assembly. I want to find or adapt a lower boot that I can put on the shifter similar to what was on the original T5. The OD looks too large to use the original boot. Unfortunately the on-line boot listings don't usually show the ID. Also someday I hope the project will be far enough along that I'll be ready to add the second upper boot on top of the tunnel.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I'm probably the one who recommended the Ebay shifter. Usually the large ring with the stops is under the top of the tunnel. Then any boot will work. I like the MGB boot and trim ring. You would need J nuts or rivnuts for the mounting screws. Put it in neutral when you mount the boot.

Attachments

• mgb shift.jpg
    mgb shift.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 1

JR66

Gold Level Sponsor
The MG boot seems good for mounting on top of the tunnel. I think DanR shows this in his recommendations too. But if the eBay shifter large ring with stops is located outside under the top of the tunnel, shouldn't I have some kind of rubber seal right on the large ring to minimize chance of road dirt or water getting into the transmission? The original shifter on the T5 had a small lower boot but I took it off before taking the picture that I put in the first post. I'm pretty sure it's too small to fit the large ring. The eBay shifter didn't come with anything to cover the top.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
If it is close to the top of the tunnel it should be somewhat protected. You may be able to make a cover out of rubber gasket material?

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Not sure if this helps but, I helped a friend build this for his automatic transmission.
IMG_6509-XL.jpg

JR66

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks, photos are very helpful. I don't know if I can do as nice a job as this but I'll give it a go!