• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Trunk panels

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
OK, so the question is - does the black paint cover *everything* behind the grille, or just the bits that Kim painted? The 'original paint' car I posted above seems to have everything painted, and so does the red car posted above. But Kim only painted certain sections. Which is correct?

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
The flat black may not have been used on Harringtons. Does anyone know if it was?

I restored a completely original Harrington LeMans (issue #10 of the Marque). The side area and behind the grill was not painted black. It was the original Moonstone color.

65beam

Donation Time
panels

puff,
bill's harrington is not a stock, built to factory original spec car. it is a VERY NICE car with a lot of super detailing done to it. i was amazed when i got to see it in person when i was at bill's house in april. some of the personalized things bill did are just fantastic! it's a pleasure to look at!

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
First - thanks to everybody who made the effort to post pictures.

Second - There does seem to be some different interpretations- the "original white car" looks to be dark behind the grill on all 4 surfaces, while Scott's car seems to have a black mouth with a red tongue!

65beam

Donation Time
panels

keep watching the restoration photos of my series 4 on my photobucket site and you will eventually see what is done to paint the grill area of my car along with the assembly of the car. it's being restored by a person that has restored sunbeams for a living for 40 years.

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
The inner grille area on my SIV is indeed painted by hand in a matte/satin finish. The floor, curved sides and vertical radiator support, (up to the top of the horn cut outs), are all coated, pretty much all that can be seen if you look into the space behind the grille. The lower inch or so of the rad. support visible under the bumper is also coated in the same manner. Strangely they didn't bother with the corner of the bonnet hinges. They are visible in the earlier pic of the ex. John Boggis Balmoral Grey SIV.

Not sure why Kim has only coated parts of her SIII in this area...?

Can anyone else confirm if the SI and SII Alpines were treated the same way? Once again, trying to find examples that haven't been messed with this late in the day may prove a bit difficult....:rolleyes:

Cheers, Lance.

fireboltgirl

Donation Time
I copied the hand painting on a Series III that still had it's original paint, although it was faded and rusty. Maybe additional areas on my car should be painted.

Lance, can you post detailed pics?

Thanks!
Kim
Series III
Tiger II
Tiger I

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Will do Kim, however I won't be back in the shed till the w/end.

Seems we've hijacked this thread somewhat, I'll start a new one for the pics. For those that are interested we really should document this sort of stuff, chassis plate variations etc, maybe as an addition to the feature articles section or...?

I remember recently coming across a book which was a resto guide for the big Healeys. It went into great detail re the types of fasteners used, paint colours and finishes, wire routing etc. Clearly enough cars were produced (and I assume still exist), to support the publication of such a book.

Since our humble Rootesmobiles are unfortunately not in the same league, (from a production numbers perspective, not in style and substance where they are clear winners), I guess it is up to us few owners that are interested in "getting it right" to list as many details as possible relating to how the cars left the production line. The only question is where and how...?

Lance.