• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tremec to T5 bellhousing adaptor

Jim E

Donation Time
While looking for a T5 for my S3 I came across an adaptor plate that will allow a TREMEC to bolt to a T5 bell which would be the same as our MII bolt up. Have not investigated this a lot yet but think it is for the TKO unit that comes behind the later Mustangs and is available in 5 and 6 speed versions. Also think the 6 speed came in various Chryslers. Just thinking out loud here but looks like the TKO unit is pretty available and not over pricey in the 5 speed version. The 6 speed is thru the roof being a Cobra and Viper trans but it is posible you could find a deal. THen it is also posible they are all busted like the used 5.0 T5s.

Figure I will put a 3.8 T5 in my car but this is just something I stumbled across and thought I would bring it up.

Oh and the job interview went well we are in negotiations....

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
While looking for a T5 for my S3 I came across an adaptor plate that will allow a TREMEC to bolt to a T5 bell which would be the same as our MII bolt up. Have not investigated this a lot yet but think it is for the TKO unit that comes behind the later Mustangs and is available in 5 and 6 speed versions. Also think the 6 speed came in various Chryslers. Just thinking out loud here but looks like the TKO unit is pretty available and not over pricey in the 5 speed version. The 6 speed is thru the roof being a Cobra and Viper trans but it is posible you could find a deal. THen it is also posible they are all busted like the used 5.0 T5s.

Figure I will put a 3.8 T5 in my car but this is just something I stumbled across and thought I would bring it up.

Oh and the job interview went well we are in negotiations....

HURRAH!! And CONGRATULATIONS!! We are all pulling for you.

The Tremmec transmission behind the V6, is just too much overkill. The little V6 can produce some power, but it is a bit short on torque, compared with the V8's the Tremmec was designed for. I seriously doubt that you could use the sixth speed on one, unless you could get some 4.56 or lower gears in the rear end. The V8 T5 in fifth, makes the engine turn over at 3,000 at 55 mph, which is a bit low, and just barely into the power curve for the V6. It does sound exotic, but definitely not necessary.

Jose :)

Jim E

Donation Time
Yeah I figure it is over kill just interesting that it could perhaps be used. The OD on the 6 speed is actually pretty sweet being there are two OD ratios, 5th is in the .8 range and 6th is in the .6 area or about teh same as the 5.0 T5 5th to 6th. THe .8 OD gear would be nice on the freeway at some points. I know Dwain with his 4 bange T5 has better pull on the highway than my car the gear puts him in a better part of the troque curve.

Mostly just something to jaw about and who knows maybe some one will get a deal on one and try it.

O

odl21

might be an option worth thinking about for tigers/algers with a hefty v8 in them. isn't the motorsport T5 'only' rated at about 330 ft/lbs?

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim,

I am fairly sure that both the TKO and T-56 are physically larger and heavier than the T-5. To use either you will probably have to do some major surgery to the trans tunnel. Also, a new "Z" type T-5 costs a bit less than either as well.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=FMS-M-7003-Z&N=700+115&autoview=sku

You might want to check out this page and check the links for mounting dimensions to get an idea of differences.

http://www.fortesparts.com/catalog.cfm?catalogID=2

Good luck,

Jim E

Donation Time
Yeah they are 95 pounds compared to the T5s which are around 75 pounds. I looked at a site that supplies kits to put these behind all sorts of engines and all the cars they had pictures of the install had to have the top of the tunnel cut out a raised a couple inches so they must be a bit taller. Width would be an issue my T5 is pretty close to the tunnel now.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I see it as just another reason to not go with the larger, more expensive transmissions. The V6 doesn't need that much beef, so why do it. A normally aspirated V6 doesn't make enough torque to break a regular T5, so why add weight, expense, and work to something that doesn't need it?

The turbo Alpine produced 280 ft. lbs. of torque, in it's first iteration. I don't know what it produced at the later configuration, but it never broke a T5 transmission, and I sure didn't baby it.

O

odl21

i was thinking of well tuned v8's with more than 330 ft/lbs torque. and more importantly having 2 overdrive ratios to play with is nice.

tom hall (tiger tom) told me he has done a tiger with a 6 speed t56 but it required xframe work not just tunnel mods.

if it could be done with just tunnel mods i'd seriously consider it myself.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
i was thinking of well tuned v8's with more than 330 ft/lbs torque. and more importantly having 2 overdrive ratios to play with is nice.

tom hall (tiger tom) told me he has done a tiger with a 6 speed t56 but it required xframe work not just tunnel mods.

if it could be done with just tunnel mods i'd seriously consider it myself.
A V8 could handle it, but is it worth the cost? Maybe so, for some guys.