• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Transmission whine

Donation Time
I just about have my 64 IV out of the shop for general maintenance. The transmission had to have a gear changed and also the overdrive shaft had a slight twist so I ordered a refurb from England. everything went back correctly and the car drives fine, but I'm told that switching back and forth into overdrive causes a transmission whine. Any suggestions?

Does anyone sell rebuilt transmissions for these cars and if so, who?

thanks

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jeff Haworth in the UK sells full od kits fully rebuilt with transmission, relay, speedo and driveshaft. You have basically all you need.

I believe john roseby in the UK does the rebuilds, you could send your box to him and in the mean time find a second hand standard box and driveshaft to keep you on the road.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
A whine? Usually a worn bearing gives a rumble sound that increases with RPM, maybe that's what you heard?
Jan

Donation Time
actually the shop had just finished all of the mechanical work, which included going over the transmission, replacing the overdrive shaft, and replacing a bearing i believe. The guy repairing it was taking a test drive and reported a whine in the transmission that he didn't like. He is going to tear it down again and look it over. So I didn't actually hear it, just wondered if it sounded familiar to anyone here. Probably is a bearing but maybe it is normal and the guy isn't familiar with the "purr" of the alpine haha.
They are a regular import shop and have never worked on one, but the guy working on it is in his late 50's - early 60's and is a whiz on imports. So far he has been very diligent and correct in the stuff that he has done. Which is fortunate, as no one in Arkansas has any experience working on a Sunbeam.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Since he replaced the mainshaft maybe he didn't assemble it right. Also, the series 4 is a non-syncro trans, and needs its own specific mainshaft, I'm sure.
(But, I haven't double checked that in the parts catalog)
Do you know what part number the replacement mainshaft was, when it was received, if at all?
Jan

65beam

Donation Time
whine

there is a possibility that it could have a full syncro trans. that would make a difference in the parts needed.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Really? I've never driven a non-syncro transmission, but I never heard that before.

Non-synch transmissions of the automotive types use straight cut gears which are much noisier than helical cut gears used on the synchronized gears.

Watch the SII alpine in the car chase sequence on Dr. No for a clear example of the typical whine in first and reverse for non-synch transmissions.

Donation Time
John Roseby was pretty clear that he had the right shaft. In so many words. he's definitely the expert. He said that there were only two for that model and there was quite a difference in the two, i don't remember I'll have to look at my emails to see what it was. he says he has done 600 in 44 years. now that I review the email, he says the earlier ones had a different spline but 99% were of the type he sent me. I'm sure the overdrive shaft was correct. I can email him and ask about the whine.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I respect John Roseby's expertise and all that, but you haven't mentioned which transmission do you have?
Non-synchromesh (early Alpines including I, II, 3, some IV) or Full-synchromesh (some IV & V)?
The OD splines on the main shaft are all the same, pretty sure. Its the front end of the main shaft that are all very different, as you have mentioned.
Jan