• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Transmission top cover

clhiller

Silver Level Sponsor
I am in the process of replacing my 4 speed with an OD transmission. My non-OD has the early top cover with the dipstick, but the OD one does not. I'd like to keep the dipstick if I could. Are the top covers interchangeable? They are both early transmissions (no synchro in first).

clhiller

Silver Level Sponsor
And one thing that bugged me about the original transmission was that the gearshift buzzed when at cruising speed and to stop it I had to keep my hand on the gearshift and slight pressure back towards myself. What is the cure for this?

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
If I'm not totally mistaken it's not only about changing the top cover. You'ld also need the S1 gearbox casing.
Gearshift buzz can have two reasons, i.e. a worn mushroom at the lower gearstick portion or worn gear selector rod guides in the top cover.
In other words you'll most likely be better off if you use your later setup. Don't get me wrong I love the early dipstick design...