• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Transmission Replacement DIY

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Acollin,

I have used ramps under the front wheels and heavy duty jack stands under the axle tubes for years and never had a problem, in fact, it is very solid doing it that way. With the axle on jack stands, the car can´t roll at all.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yep! Lots of guys have done that! But, my concern and caution is still there!

What do you do to keep the wheels from rolling off the ramps? The jack stands do a great job of holding up the car, only they are easily tipped if momentum is there to cause the car to move forward or backward.

Do you scotch the front wheels while on the ramps? That is what I was referring to because the hand brakes will not hold because the rear wheels are not on solid ground.

The engine or transmission will not hold because as stated above the rear wheels are not on solid ground.

DO you "block" the front wheels on the ramps?? Surely you can understand the possible safety precaution.

DanR

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Yep! ... After all these years and doing dozens of trans/clutch jobs ... none so far on my 'pines (knock on wood) I'm still concerned when being under a car that's jack standed, earthquakes here in Cali ya' know:rolleyes: .. I don't use the 3 point jack stands ... I have 2 sets of 4 point ones that have a "V" notch in them so there a little more stable and would make rolling forward or backwards less likely with the front on ramps, unless we get that San Andreas effect.:D ..... just a thought where jack stands are concerned. Looks like rain here in Cali ... Thank goodness ... we need it!

.... David

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
David, That's a good point you made about the four point vs three on the stands, much safer with the 4....

DanR

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
The wheels can´t roll,because the axle is locked in place because it has no wheels to roll. If you try an experiment and put the front wheels on a pair of ramps, then place a pair of jack stands under the axle tubes, you will see that you can´t even rock the car. It is solidly placed on the non rolloing axle tubes.

Yep! Lots of guys have done that! But, my concern and caution is still there!

What do you do to keep the wheels from rolling off the ramps? The jack stands do a great job of holding up the car, only they are easily tipped if momentum is there to cause the car to move forward or backward.

Do you scotch the front wheels while on the ramps? That is what I was referring to because the hand brakes will not hold because the rear wheels are not on solid ground.

The engine or transmission will not hold because as stated above the rear wheels are not on solid ground.

DO you "block" the front wheels on the ramps?? Surely you can understand the possible safety precaution.

DanR

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
I have on many occasions used four jack stands to get the Alpine up high enough to work on the bottom side. I have sturdy stands - four legged type with a V notch. With a concrete garage floor the stands are rock solid stable.

I have also used a pair of ramps for the front with the same type of jack stands for the rear. As Jose indicated, again it is very stable and will not roll.

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
I have 4 15" rims and 4 14" rims that I stacked and tack welded together. Jack the car up and set one under each wheel. Car is rock solid and no jackstands in the way at all. Stands under the back aren't the issue, as others have said the V in the top cradles the rearend housing, but up front is the problem. Unless it's a 4WD truck with a solid axle there aren't many places that the V shaped top sits just right that is also wide enough towards the corners to make the vehicle stable. Doing bodywork is a good example. You want the car up high to save your back and make things easier, but you may also be pushing and prying on things at weird or un-natural angles. I HAVE tipped cars off stands when leaning and working over the front fenders. Luckily, both times that has happened nobody was underneath trying to line things up and the cars still had tires on so they didn't damage anything when they fell. I have stands but only use them when I need to do something that requires the tires to come off

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
B&F ... Not all, especially the 3 point stands don't have "Vs" in the top cradle... Being mindful of disaster when under a car is just prudent thinking. Your set up sound like a good idea .. none the less.

.... David

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
Nobody has mentioned yet that stands are ONLY for concrete floors. They can sink easily in blacktop driveways and are useless on grass, dirt or gravel. My wheel deal works pretty well in all those situations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I have on many occasions used four jack stands to get the Alpine up high enough to work on the bottom side. I have sturdy stands - four legged type with a V notch. With a concrete garage floor the stands are rock solid stable.

I have also used a pair of ramps for the front with the same type of jack stands for the rear. As Jose indicated, again it is very stable and will not roll.

I agree. My ramps are 10 inches wide. there is a slot that accepts a piece of railroad track. the front of the ramps has a block as well. with 2 ton jack stands that have the big U shape it will not move. still I shake the car before venturing underneath. oh and my ramps are 18 inches in height. Still will put a couple of wheels under just in case

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ah! Yes! Chuck has the extra safety idea, He says with his ramps.....there is a slot that accepts a piece of railroad track. the front of the ramps has a block as well.