• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Transmission Oil Seal

CptTom

Donation Time
I have a question concerning the profile of the transmission input shaft. The car is a series V with an OD transmission. The problem I'm attempting to address is oil leakage at the front seal of the input shaft. This seal has been replaced twice and the transmission still leaks oil from this seal. Several friends who are mechanics of varying degrees of expertise advise the problem is the difficulty of installing the seal. The difficulty is due to the journal where the seal rides has a right angle reduction to the diameter of the input shaft extending into the clutch assembly. When installing the seal the effort to maneuver the seal over this right angle occurs as you're are also trying to push the seal into the transmission housing. Apparently the new seals have been damaged during this process. I have seen illustrations of the input shaft that show the input shaft to have a taper leading from the input shaft to expanded part of the shaft where the seals rides. My question would be, is this the correct shaft?? If it is the correct shaft any suggestions on how to install this seal without damage would be greatly appreciated. As to background, the car was not originally equipped with OD and at some point the PO did the conversion. From the documentation I have it appears this transmission was assembled from two other transmissions to correct a problem with a twist in the mainshaft. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Tom

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Tom have you watched the videos of John 'The Box' Roseby rebuilding an Alpine Gearbox and Overdrive on The Sunbeam Alpine Channel on YouTube?

John worked for Laycock de-Normanville for 44 years and is an absolute expert on these gearbox. Some of the tricks he shows for rebuilding these boxes are genius. There are 5 videos in total, one of them (probably Video Number 4 I think) will show a new seal being fitted, plus you will be able to compare the shaft with yours to see if it is the correct type.

Best Wishes,

Tim R

CptTom

Donation Time
After watching the Utube video its apparent the input shaft in my transmission is not correct. The video shows a shaft the tapered section leading from small diameter section of the shaft to the large diameter section of the shaft where the oil seal and bearing are fitted. My shaft has an abrupt right angle where the small section of the shaft transition to the large diameter section. Now I have to source a correct replacement for this shaft.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi Tom,

I'm sorry that you have a problem but glad that the video we made has helped you to identify the issue. I would guess (and it is only a guess) that you possibly have a Rootes gearbox from another car that also fits to the Alpine. There can't be that many alternatives. If you can identify which gearbox you have you can then find the correct seal. Are there any identification marks or casting numbers on the gearbox that might help you? It might be worth contacting John Roseby directly, he is the man as far as gearboxes are concerned from your description he may be able to tell you what you have.

Best Wishes,

Tim R

CptTom

Donation Time
Hi Tim,

At this time the transmission is still in the car. As far as I can tell its a typical series IV/V fully synchronized unit. The only identification on the transmission are on the OD unit. I know the transmission was assembled from assorted parts from 2 other transmissions from the documentation provided by the PO. The operation of the transmission is fine. It shifts easily and the OD unit works in 3rd and 4th gears. Its the dam oil leak I really want to get rid of. After removing the motor and transmission twice to change the seal its getting on my nerves. If I can find a replacement shaft I think the best solution may be to take it to a transmission shop and have them install the proper shaft and seal.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Another potential solution would simply be to have a decent machinist put a chamfer on the input shaft where you need it. It would be quite easy. If the area needs building up first you could use PC7 epoxy and then machine that down since the epoxied area would simply be for a lead-in for the seal and would have no effect on the working of the transmission.