• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Transmission Dipstick Brace

howard

Donation Time
I have a part that looks suspiciously POMed (Previous Owner Made) and wish to confirm. The part is a brace bolted to the valve cover that extends down to the tranny dipstick and bolts to it so as to keep it from rattling. It is aluminum and approx. 1" wide by 10" long and twisted. Original or POM?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I have a part that looks suspiciously POMed (Previous Owner Made) and wish to confirm. The part is a brace bolted to the valve cover that extends down to the tranny dipstick and bolts to it so as to keep it from rattling. It is aluminum and approx. 1" wide by 10" long and twisted. Original or POM?

Not sure if you have an automatic, but other than a hillman or rapier manual transmission in a series alpine, alpines didnt come with a manual trans dipstick.

Now if you have a BW35, then forgive, I have no clue what that should look like.

65beam

Donation Time
dipstick brace

if you do have an automatic, there is a brace for the dipstick tube that bolts to the back of the head on the right side . if i remember correctly, the series 4 had a brace that was L shaped. the 69's have a longer brace that has a twist of sorts in it . series 1 alpines did have a dipstick for the transmission , but there was a rubber plug smaller than the one that is in the side to fill the trans with oil .it was located on top of the trans tunnel just to the right of the gas pedal . it had carpet in the center of it that matched the color of the tunnel carpet . you popped it out to gain access to the dip stick.

Beamin Dave

Silver Level Sponsor
Series 1 Alpine transmissions DID have a dipstick like the Hillman and Singer transmissions. It is listed in the parts book as #9 in the transmission plate.:)

howard

Donation Time
I may have to do some POMing myself: There's NO WAY a bracket in the form of the one shown on the diagram will fit/bolt to anything! Hmmmmm...

howard

Donation Time
Thanks for the offer, George. I have the dipstick assembly. Just need to anchor it so it won't rattle around. I'll eventually figure this out... maybe when the weather's warmer. (I'm a fair weather shade tree mechanic;))