• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Took a ride today...

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I had been out and about in the Alpine earlier in the day, and stopped by a neighbor to 'recruit' him and his ride to drive in the upcoming Memorial Day parade that lines up right outside my front door. After that, went on about my business, including mowing the lawn. Left the Alpine on the street out front.

As I'm mowing, I hear a t00t-toot of an unusual horn. Turn around and the neighbor was pulling up in his 1939 Daimler Drophead Coupe (on a post-war chassis, but still...) So we went for a 10-minute ride.

Interesting 4-speed pre-selector transmission. Choose your gear then go... no normal clutch. He extended the offer to let me drive, but I deferred until he could give me a proper lesson.

This thing has "daily-driver" patina, and was his father's car since the 50s. Honest worn leather seats. Interior woodwork could use re-varnished, but mostly fine as it is. Suicide doors. Top hasn't been up in years, because who needs a top? No rust that I could see. Crank-out windshield. Rear-view mirror the size of a business card. Plus he was sitting on the wrong side the whole trip.

Funny thing is, he spent most of the time asking me about Sunbeams.

I'll add some pics after the parade, in a few weeks.

Alpine66

Donation Time
Definitely want to see some pics of the Chrysler errrr Daimler. Haven't seen a trans like that before

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Parade was this morning. Rained a bit at 8:30, but all was good by about 9.

Daimler is '38 body on '46 chassis. (Due to wartime production interruption.) For some inexplicable reason, the steering wheel is on the wrong side.
IMG_7511.jpg

Auburn. Rumble seat. Straight-8. 'Nuff said.
IMG_7507.jpg

'63 Studebaker Avanti. Year 1. All fiberglas, Studebaker 289-ish engine. Plus some lame Brit chick car (mine).
IMG_7514 (1).jpg

MGs and '63 TR-4
IMG_7515.jpg

Driving lesson in Daimler has been confirmed; time TBA. I'll post more detailed pictures then.
Not in attendance this year -- early 50s MG TD, BMW 2002 tii (I think) and Lotus Esprit Turbo (just moved away).

All these cars live within 1.5 miles of my house, and all but two are within 2000 feet.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Sounds like a cool neighborhood! I've got so many late model BMW's in my neighborhood that you would think we are a suburb of Munich - there is a definite lack of imagination.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
I have no problem with vintage BMW's. I used to own a 1600, and would love to have a 2002 (or 2800 CSL). Those were real drivers cars. A late model 3 series with automatic transmission - not so much.