• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

TONNEAU COVER stud location?

Duke

Donation Time
Hello all,

I am in the process of having my tonneau cover modified for the roll bar and discovered that I am missing all of the studs that secure the tonneau cover to the dash.

My dash has been recovered and there is not any indication of where they go. Does anyone have some measurements for me so I can install the required studs?

Thanks,

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hello all,

I am in the process of having my tonneau cover modified for the roll bar and discovered that I am missing all of the studs that secure the tonneau cover to the dash.

My dash has been recovered and there is not any indication of where they go. Does anyone have some measurements for me so I can install the required studs?

Thanks,

Duke,

On your IA they were probably 1/2 way between the screen and the dash face, but another option (as per the early cars) is to mount the studs to the defroster vents, is a bit more of a pain to undo/secrure them but stops you drilling into the dash top

Duke

Donation Time
Duke,

On your IA they were probably 1/2 way between the screen and the dash face, but another option (as per the early cars) is to mount the studs to the defroster vents, is a bit more of a pain to undo/secrure them but stops you drilling into the dash top

Thanks,

The tonneau covers "lift the dot" hardware will not reach the vent locations. The studs will have to be screwed into the dash. Looks like I will have to stretch and mark each LTD location and then screw the studs into the dash. I know there has to be holes in the metal for the studs, I was hoping for good measurements to find them.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I plan to replace Air-pine's upper dash this summer.

I read somewhere that an ice pick could be pushed up from beneath, through the stud holes, to make holes in the dash pad, then screw in the studs...

Have you considered this method? I am curious whether it might work...

Allan

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
I do not think that will work the dash metal is a double layer and I think that the stud screws will not go all the way through.: rolleyes:

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Ok, I see that now - good point.

One could perhaps drill the hole onwards through the metal dash's underside, then proceed with an ice pick or something similar.

Allan

pdq67

Donation Time
While you have the dash pad and windsheild off, drill straight down thru the stud holes thru the second layer of metal with a very small bit. Once the dash pad is installed, stick a stiff wire or long thin drill bit back up thru the holes and pierce the dash pad. This is your stud location.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
If you have the dash pad off the holes should be in view, then just place the studs in the wholes and lay the dash pad on top, positioned in the right location and press down on the vinyl and use a razor blade to cut a small X over each stud that is pressing up on the vinyl pad. Then install your dashpad and screw in the studs that will be in the stock location.:D

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Duke:

My car didn't have them located in the dash pad when I got it either. I simply got under my dash, located the holes in the dash bulkhead and poked a sharp pin-like tool up through them and the dash pad (it may have been an ice pick, but it's been too long ago to remember the specifics). Anyway, it was a completely simple procedure on my car. I installed the studs without ever having to disturb the windshield and they are there to this day. The toughest part is getting your body folded up to the point of being able to see what you are doing!!!!!

Best of luck,

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Duke: when you are done, please post details and photos of your tonneau modification. I haven't had one since I installed my roll bar and would like to have this done too.

Duke

Donation Time
Thanks for the tips guys. Always a great help.

Duke: when you are done, please post details and photos of your tonneau modification. I haven't had one since I installed my roll bar and would like to have this done too.

Will do Jim. I have a "show" bar but just do not want to take it out. I love how it looks.