• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

TO split or not to split

phatt

Donation Time
I am at the front brakes on my series V rebuild. I would like to know if I should split the calipers or not. The books say no, but I can't hone them if I don't. If I have to send the calipers to be resleeved they will have to split them. Any advice? Thanks

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Have you popped the pistons out to see if there is pitting? Most of the calipers I have rebuilt the bores are fine and the pistons have had slight rust - usually at the front of the piston. Everything behind the caliper seal usually stays in pretty good shape.

If there is no pitting/issues then simply clean well and don't split.

Steve

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I can't hone them if I don't. If I have to send the calipers to be resleeved they will have to split them.
They are not to be honed. That does nothing to help, and the polish that was on the bores, is gone. You can disassemble them but you need new flat seals. Then what torque is required for the bolts? Nobody knows. All these issues and the service manual warns against it too. The main thing is to get the rust out of the seal grooves, if not the seals will put too much pressure on the piston and it will not work correctly because of the high friction. I have bead blasted them without splitting the halves, and they worked well back in service.
If you have to sleeve them, then you are left no choice but to split them and find new seals. Good luck
Jan

mikephillips

Donation Time
I've split mine to clean and redo them. You can get new flat seals from Moss, the TR3B if I remember correctly used the same caliper. Haven't had a problem yet and it's been 10 years since the ones on the Tiger were done.