• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Timing Cover Removal

fastfrontier17

Donation Time
Hey guys, I'm buying a replacement timing cover from Alpine Innovations. I'm buying a 1 5/16" socket as well to remove the crankshaft, and wanted to know if a typical impact will fit in the space after the radiator is removed. I typically go for deep, 6-point sockets, but if the space is super tight I'll go for a shorter one. I've read some people use extensions and go through the front too.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Careful when buying the 1-5/16” socket. If you’ve got just the bolt you’ll be fine with any socket, but if you’ve got the hand-crank spiral bolt you’ll need a deep socket with adequate clearance. The only one I found that fits is a Proto (Stanley) #J5342H.

As for access, you can go straight through the crank hole in the front valence with a couple of long extensions. Having the car in 1st or reverse with the handbrake on will help.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
FYI - I can fit a 1/2" ratchet and a Tekton 1-5/16" deep impact socket on my series V hand-crank nut with the radiator in place. It is quite tight with the radiator in place.

I tried a socket extension through the valence with the same deep impact socket, and the hole in the valence didn't line up well enough with the hand-crank nut. I didn't bother to debug that issue.

Mike