• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Timing chain oil pipe

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I am thinking that it would be OK to skip the installation of the timing chain oil tube and simply plug the hole that feeds this pipe.

Just guessing but there has to be enough oil vapor and splash inside the block to keep the chain lubed in a race motor. Any thoughts? It would be one less item the pump has to supply oil too - not that it is that much oil flow but I really don't see a point in the chain tube.

If I remember correctly... the Sports Car Forum Alpine has the line pinched off at the tip.

Next would be to simply blank off the tube return hole in the block and minimize pressure build up in the timing cover. (seen in the tunning guide)

Steve

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Steve,
Oil cools the parts as well. If anything, I would open that orifice to flow more oil and the same goes for the rocker arms & springs. The springs get so hot in the NASCAR engines, the techs made up oil spray bars, up in the valve covers, to cool the hot parts.
Jan

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Agreed about the oil cooling but you have so much splash in the timing cover I am almost positive the chain oiler tube's effectiveness is negligible in a race mode. I am hoping to minimize internal oil leaks to help focus oil on the mains/rods.

I am guessing that the oiler would be only effective in a stopped/idling situation. Not in a race mode. At least that's the thought.

Speaking of the rocker assembly - there has to be a really good way to seal the T and the rocker shafts. I don't think a sealant is appropriate... I have used O-rings in the past but maybe flat-cut rings of a thickness would be best.

Steve