• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

TIGER ....

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
It has a completely different front suspension system than a stock Alpine or Tiger.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Nice car, but I wonder if this is a real auction. Very few pictures, no VIN and all of the seller's feedback is more than a year old, with the exception of 1 review that just says "in the last year". And, listing a car like this with no reserve and a trivial starting bid is either stupid, ridiculously confident, or a bad sign.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
FYI-I'll be in Kent tomorrow and Friday if someone wants eyes on the unit. You set it up and I'll go.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Where have you seen this before? I live in Kent, am active with the local Pacific Tiger Club and don't remember this one at all. The photos don't look like they were taken nearby. Maybe a recent CA transplant?

,,,,,, not in person or at a show .. but it's been all over the web ....
* https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-sunbeam-tiger-13/
*https://classiccars.com/listings/view/826761/1965-sunbeam-tiger-for-sale-in-reno-nevada-89502
*https://www.motorsportauctiongroup.com/article/264/1965-Sunbeam-Tiger--Black-Beauty-Restore

..... Russo and Steele, Mecum and others, many others ....

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
This is the GT Tiger former owned by Bill Atalla . At least those are the pictures of it.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Not the ex bill A GT. This car was up for auction last year with a big price tag and iirc failed to sell.

That said the ebay listing is suspiciously light on

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Well whatever it is is is a little fake looking as the ad copy as memory serves is VERY similar to what the previous sellers used to describe the GT.
By the way , Bill's car went to Dale to un personalize it, removing the chrome roll bar steering wheel etc by the flippers of the car, too bad they seem to be not making money on the flips, with exception of it's BaT sale.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Have been taking a close look at the ebay / Bring A Trailer / Classic Cars and Motorsports Auction Group listings as well as an earlier Mecum auction listing (https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0815-219936/1965-sunbeam-tiger/).

At least one of the pictures has clearly been "edited", but I am confident that the pictures in the various listings are all for the same car (B9471991LRXFE ???). The car sold at Mecum for $100K in 2015 and the comments section of the BAT listing indicates that it sold post-auction for $115K in MAY 2018. That is a lot of money for a seriously non-original (engine, transmission, front suspension, brakes, etc.) Tiger, but it is a very nice car.

I think 65beam and alpine64 are correct about the car in question NOT being the ex-Bill Atalla car. The mirrors are similar, but there are too many little details (wheels, tires, dash grain / color, cubby door handle, map light, rear bumper over-riders, trunk badging, tail-light lenses, etc.) that don't match the picture that 65beam provided. It seems unlikely that all of those things would have been changed for no obvious reason.

I have to agree with Jim that the no reserve / low starting bid eBay listing seems like a very strange way to sell what appears to be a legitimate / very nice "personalized" Tiger with a lot of money invested. Should be fun to watch.

Place your bets:

Scam
Stupid seller
Wildly optimistic seller
Listing will be "withdrawn"
The bid will go to $100K
Somebody will get an amazing bargain

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Bills car was modified after with image wheels from uk. Dale front end etc.. But as by the vin....its not bills as its not a GT :)

loose_electron

Donation Time
Up to $30K, (another day left in the bidding) just me, but I would not risk that kind of money without getting my own eyes on the car.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Here's a close up of the quarter glass/side mirror mount on the Tiger for sale in all the listing I posted .... You might change alot of things .. but I doubt you'd change that quarter glass section. Motorcycle mirrors and a custom mount in/though the quarter glass? ... Slick!

I have no connection to any of the buyers or sellers ... it just seems to pop-up in the cross hairs of my searches.

Attachments

• tigerMirrors2.jpg
    tigerMirrors2.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 41
  • tiger quarter glass.jpg
    tiger quarter glass.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Maybe all those black Tigers are starting to look like all those red Tigers in my head but in any case its a scam. :)

Last edited:

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I remember those mirrors well. I asked about them during the auction, as did many other viewers. From the BAT seller: "The mirrors are from Bob Drake Reproductions, Inc, 541-474-0043, Grants Pass, OR."

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Maybe all those black Tigers are starting to look like all those red Tigers in my head but in any case its a scam. :)

Same thing here .. The only reason I noted this one was that mirror mount "location" ... been looking for a nice set of mirrors but hate to drill the body and that corner mount on the quarter glass is a nice idea. ... Don't care to much for the mirror/mounting arm itself but the mounting spot is a slick idea. .... Seems a little odd/confident with no reserve! ...... all in all, scam or not .... It's a nice looking Sunbeam!

.... David