• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tiger wheels sizes?

RHFG

Donation Time
Hi Guys

I need some help with wheel/tire sizes the will fit a Tiger that will clear the fender lip, the lower fender/valance in the turn and the the inner body on the rear without any body modifications or spacers.
My first thoughts are 15 x 7 are too wide. In the UK they sell 15 x 5.5
and 14 x 6 .
Also what is the maximum backspacing allowable on an Alpine or Tiger?
Period looking 4 stud x 108 wheels are not easy to find in NZ.
Any suggestions?

Russ

alpine_64

Donation Time
Its not jsut the wheel.. its the tyres.. if the sidewall is to high.. you will snag the lower feront guard on lock.. i found this out last year after gtoing fro 195/55/14 to 195/60/14 .. you need to work out the overall radius of wheel and tyre

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Russ,

The key factor with respect to backspace is clearing the outer end of the upper A-arm on the front suspension and that depends on the wheel diameter.

13" wheel = 4" maximum backspace

14" wheel = 4-1/4" maximum backspace

15" wheel = 4-1/2" maximum backspace​

This is based on measurements from my S-V. It's an Alpine, so YMMV.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Russ,

The rolling radius for a stock Tiger was 11.25" to 11.45". I have 14" rims on my Tiger with 185/60's and have no issue. Other tyres with a similar rolling radius are 195/55/r14, 205/55/r14, 195/50/r15 and 205/45/r15. These sizes are from a tyre/rim calculator (some of the wider tyres may be too wide without some mods). Hope this helps.

Regards, Robin.

RHFG

Donation Time
Robin

Next question, in your experience are the aftermarket wheels made to fit the Sunbeam bore size?
Is a spacing ring used to centre the wheel or are some wheels just using the wheel studs to take all the weight?

Russ

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Russ,

The Alpine and Tiger were designed to use "lug centric" rather than "hub centric" wheels. None of the Alpine or Tiger hubs I have seen are finish machined well enough to properly center a wheel.

64beam

Donation Time
Robin, what kind of wheel do you have for the Tiger?
Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave,

My rims are 'Performance rims' which is a copy of the minilite style. They are 14x6" and when they were fitted when my Dad had the car, two diofferent offsets were used (not sure of the offsets off hand as the Tiger is not at home). It is a bit of a pain for tyre rotation and I have not seen other doing the same. Here is a link (I think they may be Australian): http://www.performancewheels.com.au/superlite.asp# Look at the 14x6" (18P & 26P - 26P on the front).

Regards, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
Robin

Next question, in your experience are the aftermarket wheels made to fit the Sunbeam bore size?
Is a spacing ring used to centre the wheel or are some wheels just using the wheel studs to take all the weight?

Russ

Hi Russ,

I'm not sure what you mean by 'bore size'? Do you mean the stud centres? My rims do not use any spacers, just straight on to the wheel studs. I hope this helps.

Regards, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi Dave,

My rims are 'Performance rims' which is a copy of the minilite style. They are 14x6" and when they were fitted when my Dad had the car, two diofferent offsets were used (not sure of the offsets off hand as the Tiger is not at home). It is a bit of a pain for tyre rotation and I have not seen other doing the same. Here is a link (I think they may be Australian): http://www.performancewheels.com.au/superlite.asp# Look at the 14x6" (18P & 26P - 26P on the front).

Regards, Robin.

Rob,

they are Performance Superlites, lots of people run the offsets diffeent front to back.. normally so that they can run a 14x7 on the rear (or 15x7 etc) and 6 on the front. The other reason people do it as with i suspect yours is to avoid issues with the front suspension. they will run a shallower dish to the outside frotn and deeper on the rear.

RHFG

Donation Time
Thanks Guys

My car is being shipped this weekend so had to make decision. According to wheel and gearing calculator a 185 x 60 x 14 is 677.60mm dia and 195 x 50 x 15
is a tad smaller at 576.00 So bought 15 x 6 Superlite with 12ET which should give a 4" backspace. I could find a little gentle surgery is required on the fender lip or valance [ or keep the foot off the gas and not drive on any bumpy roads ]

Robin....if your offset is the same I should have a result similar to your 14's

Russ

64beam

Donation Time
Robin....if your offset is the same I should have a result similar to your 14's

Russ

Hi Russ,

The offset on my rims are 26 on the front and 18 on the rear. That's if I am reading the brochure from Performance wheels correctly. 15" wheels will look great and at least you have a bigger range of tyres to choose from.

Regards, Robin.