• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tiger reduced OD "Fairmont" fan pulley

Hoghead

Silver Level Sponsor
For why you want this pulley, read the "Cooling the Sunbeam Tiger" paper by Tiger Tom and Chuck King.
http://teae.org/cooling-the-sunbeam-tiger-tiger-tom-chuck-king/

Unfortunately a common Ford pulley will not fit the Tiger, and the Fairmont pulley is very difficult to find today. If you are lucky enough to find a Fairmont pulley, you will learn that it is not only expensive, but an ugly 2 or 3 sheave design. Effective as it is, I just did not like the ugly Fairmont pulley on my car, was unable to find an aftermarket alternative, so set out to make these.

This pulley is CNC machined from a single billet of 6061 T-6 aluminium. With the Tiger specific 1" centre hole, and proper backspacing it is a direct replacement for the stock pulley. Supplied in as machined condition, so you can use as is, or polish, paint, or powdercoat as you prefer.

I have spent 45 years with my eyes glued to the temperature gauge every time I got stuck in traffic and at lights. I tried all the common mods set out out in the referenced paper, and this pulley helped the most in solving my Tigers overheating issues.

A great stealth mod, and most importantly it works and looks great!

Shipped via registered air mail from my home in Thailand, and transit will take about 3 weeks to the US and Canada.
EMS postal courier is available at additional cost with less than a week transit.
All shipping is door to door traceable, and the tracking number is provided the day shipped.

I am rgstraghan at yahoo dot ca

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hoghead, I just arrived back from the UNITED XXXVI in VA where there were probably 50 tigers.

A bit on the heat problems was a routine matter in discussions.

Hoghead

Silver Level Sponsor
And this pulley is a huge help in solving the problem.
Not the be all and end all, but a huge step in the right direction along with the other mods as pointed out in the referenced paper.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Pulley

Here's a little info on pulleys, we always machined our own and drive the pump up to 30% faster this keeps the flow up on the street this little tid bit
comes from Stewart, and another bit of info the Explorer 5.0 were using in the Clone were building has a small diameter water pump pulley which means that its spinning faster than the crank,????
we've also never done any of the mods that are pointed out in the testing spoke of.

Last edited:

Hoghead

Silver Level Sponsor
I have tried various diameter water pump pullies over the years and as small as 4.75". Used them alone with a stock pump, in combination with a high flow (30% greater) pump, and high flow pump with stock pulley. I think that I tried just about everything..................

As Tom and Chuck point out in their research paper, empirical data suggests that there is a fine line between flow and cooling at idle, and one of the instances where too much is not better.

My experience suggests that this 132mm OD "Fairmont" pulley in combination with the stock pump and horn holes blocked off works the best.
That is not to say that a little faster, in combination with the right fan, right pump, right rad etc... and no other mods might not do the job, but in my case 30% proved too fast

Your mileage may vary....................

The other most effective mod is blocking the horn holes.