• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tiger on EBay

sammaw@bellsout

Silver Level Sponsor
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Othe...ewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item27ad80b38a

Guys, just wanted to offer a steer cleer notice on this one. Although I have not personally seen this car, I do know a little about it. The Alpine I bought was owned by the same person as this tiger. The purpose he had the Alpine (now my Alpine) was to use its body to repair the Tiger's problems. He sold the tiger, but the buyer did not want the Alpine for parts, and I then bought the Alpine. He told me the Tiger was pretty rusted. The current owner states in his ad rust repairs have been done, but I would advise againist trying to buy without a complete inspection.

Sorry to make this post, but I thought it needed to be said.

FYI

Sam

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Sam,

I know you have had dealings with this guy and there are some things that look a bit dubious, but he does show that it has been TACed. I don't know about the TAC stickers, but are they designed so that they are only single use to stop the transfer of them?

Regards, Robin.

sammaw@bellsout

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi Robin,

As I said, I have never actually seen this car, and I don't know the current owner, or what work has been done to it since it left Spartanburg. I think the current owner was forthcoming in the Q&A section of the listing in describing some of the issues. I don't doubt that the car is a tiger. The fellow I purchased my Alpine from bought it in a package deal with this Tiger, with the intention to consume the Alpine to repair the Tiger in question. Also, I have never personally seen or examined a TAC sticker, either, so I can't comment on their ability to be moved. It would make sense to make the sticker so that it could not be removed without noticably damaging it. My concerns were based on what I was told by a PO of the tiger, the same person that sold me the Alpine I have now. Again, it may be a project someone would want to undertake, but I just wanted to offer a bit of advice to our friends in Saoca to make sure you know the condition of this one if you want to bid on it. I sure hope I didn't make anyone mad in this endeavor.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Robin,

As I said, I have never actually seen this car, and I don't know the current owner, or what work has been done to it since it left Spartanburg. I think the current owner was forthcoming in the Q&A section of the listing in describing some of the issues. I don't doubt that the car is a tiger. The fellow I purchased my Alpine from bought it in a package deal with this Tiger, with the intention to consume the Alpine to repair the Tiger in question. Also, I have never personally seen or examined a TAC sticker, either, so I can't comment on their ability to be moved. It would make sense to make the sticker so that it could not be removed without noticably damaging it. My concerns were based on what I was told by a PO of the tiger, the same person that sold me the Alpine I have now. Again, it may be a project someone would want to undertake, but I just wanted to offer a bit of advice to our friends in Saoca to make sure you know the condition of this one if you want to bid on it. I sure hope I didn't make anyone mad in this endeavor.

Hi Sam,

Your comments are certainly justified and not in question as the last thing a prospective Tiger buyer would want is a fake. If the previous owner was only using the Alpine for body panels for rust repair, then that would be OK. If not, then it should not be treated as a true Tiger. It's a shame the original engine/gearbox are not included. I think an email to Norm would be the first port of call.

Regards, Robin.

65beam

Donation Time
tiger

uhh guys, this car does have tags issued by the state of washington so it looks to me that norm is right. plus there is nothing wrong with using alpine body parts for repairing a tiger. no different than using a tiger body to repair an alpine or converting a mk 2 back to an alpine. and it looks to be a tac sticker to me. keep in mind ,anything can be repaired.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tiger in Wash.

This car seems real familiar to me. Back in the 80's I had this vintage w/ a 302 and auto. Sold it locally but it soon disappeared and hasn't been seen since. It had the original green paint then and was missing the front valence. I bought the car for a mere $800.00 from a Duke student leaving town and IIRC he was from NJ?? I drove it for about 3 years as a daily driver and was offered a lot of money and diamonds for it. The diamonds were later stolen at my wife's work site, at a sink where she left them, to answer the phone. Also, the brake booster went out shortly before I sold it . That was the only time I have ever jumped from a car and left it sitting in the road as I thought it was going to explode. Lots of white smoke..
Probably not the same car but it feels good to say I bought a really good running Tiger for $800.00.
Wish I had the #'s to confirm one way or the other.
Doug

Question: is there any difference between the lower A arms on an Alpine and a Tiger? It's is a moot question if not.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
The Alpine lower A arms have plates welded on as bump stops for the steering while the Tiger ones do not.
As far as this Tiger goes-I had the chance to buy it and the Alpine that Sam now owns from the elderly and original owner and passed on them as I already had one very rusty Tiger at the time and did not need another one! TAC stickers will self destruct if someone tries to remove them.....Eric

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for that, Eric. Maybe the one I had still survives and w/ little rust, as it had no notable rust on it when sold.

sammaw@bellsout

Silver Level Sponsor
Bull Durham

The tiger in question came to SC from the Louisville Ky area around Feb of 2007, and was sold again in Spartanburg around Aug 07. I thought the buyer was from PA, but I'm not sure. That would have given it a couple of months to be resold (or moved) to Washington State, according to the TAC date on Norman's list. I believe the owner in Kentucky was a man named C.Bristow.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

The Tiger in question didn't sell and was way off the 'buy it now' price. Maybe with our chat over this Tiger turned people away. Next time maybe we will keep quiet (but not likely) ;) .

Regards, Robin.

sammaw@bellsout

Silver Level Sponsor
You see pretty nice Tigers change hands in the $30-40 thou range in the USA. I think if someone had pulled the trigger on the buy it now of $18K, without close inspection, and knew what they were getting, they would have been disappointed when it was delivered.

Just lookin' out for my bro's:cool: