• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tiger Grill

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Hi Guys,

I am working on some mechanical drawings to make a Tiger Grill. Can anyone tell me how many squares there are in the grill and the height and width of each square. Some photos would be great but may be too much to ask for. I will cut the parts using polished stainless. I hope someone and provide me with some info.

Here is what I have to date, I am just starting to do the assembly modeling.

Tiger_Grill.jpg

Thanks,
Andrew

65beam

Donation Time
grill

Andrew,
It this the grill you were talking about on the facebook page? Here's a photo of the Harrington grill that he copied. The Tiger grill has smaller openings than the Alpine grill. FYI, the grills don't have a bottom piece that sets on the valance.

Attachments

• 109_0777.jpg
    109_0777.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 36

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
For scale, what's the distance between horizontal pieces? Between vertical pieces? Thickness of material?

65beam

Donation Time
grill

Andrew / Ken,
Tiger and Harrington egg crate grills are two different items. Different number and size of openings. The Tiger MK 2 grill required a different (larger) eye brow moulding and the Harrington grill does use the standard eye brow moulding. The Harrington grill was reproduced several years ago and were advertised for sale on the Harrington site until a while back. Iggbom probably has the info.

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Hi Guys,

Yes, I have started with some of the geometry given to me by Trev (facebook site). I am able to drive the parts, thickness of material and spacing vary easily. My CAD software is fully parametric and a 3D model assembly makes it great to produce parts. I can export the parts for laser cutting, I think I will have them cut from polished stainless 12 or 14 gauge (not sure about the thickness). I know that the Harrington and the Tiger grilles are different. I just thought that someone in the club may have some of this data or measurements on hand. If not that is fine. I think I will make up one to my liking along with mounting to match my existing S3 grill. I can then use the new grill, test it and if in the future with to put the car back to original I can without making any new holes etc.
The geometry that Trev gave me was a good start. I will plot the parts 1-1 and cut them out manually to see how things fit and if anything should be changed.

Thanks for the notes guys.
Regards,
Andrew

65beam

Donation Time
grill

Andrew,
Something to keep in the back of your mind is that not all cars are the same. The grill dimensions for Trev's car may not fit your car. I know of a couple guys that had to cut down the reproduction Harrington grills in order to make them fit their openings.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Perhaps these pictures of an original Mk-II Tiger grill will help.

Don't remember where I got them, so .....

Attachments

• Mk2grill1.jpg
    Mk2grill1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Mk2grill2.jpg
    Mk2grill2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Mk2grill3.jpg
    Mk2grill3.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Mk2grill4.jpg
    Mk2grill4.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 32

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Andrew,

As you can see, there is some pretty decent thickness to the bars - looks like 1/8" or so, but I have not seen one in person, so maybe someone can tell you for sure. I think stainless would be really heavy.

Mike

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Andrew,

As you can see, there is some pretty decent thickness to the bars - looks like 1/8" or so, but I have not seen one in person, so maybe someone can tell you for sure. I think stainless would be really heavy.

Mike

The horizontal and vertical egg-crate pieces are definitely 1/8" thick aluminum bar stock. Don't remember for sure, but I think the bar "width" was 1-1/4" or 1-3/8". I can confirm that if it matters.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Thanks for the informatoin, aluminum it is then.
Andrew

Andrew, nkt sure what info you have or not in regards to measurements, but the grill is a compound curve, not straight across and has the leans as well. There were repros made in the UK about 3 years back that were accurate... Might be worth speaking to stoc members.