• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tiger Gallery Photos??

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
. . . does everyone feel better now? and do we have a Tiger Gallery? I hope this is a club of doers and not just talkers--were are you administrators? Let's get going and set up the Gallery and add a new dimension to the club.
Bill

Hello Bill and other members:

This is not a full time job for me guys and it is a busy time. I have just found this thread and the administrators have given me a note about the need for a Tiger Gallery. I really am unsure how important this is as it is like pulling teeth trying to get you guys to get me pictures for the photo contest let alone doing extra work for a new gallery.

I should have a Tiger Gallery set up by the end of the day, I just ask that you follow the same rules for image size.

Bill, could you please forward one of your Tiger photos of your car to me so that I have a starting point.

Regards,
Andrew

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
1st, I have no problem w/putting up a "Tiger Gallery", afterall they look like an Alpine.
I am a bit curious about the apparant "rivalry". I think I came across it recently. This spring, I've taken my SV to a couple of local mix-bag car shows. At one the only Rootes entries was my SV and a Tiger. There are apparantly not many of these cars in my area, as this was the first time I'd seen another. His car was gorgous, mine is unfinished. I wouldn't have been any competition, even if I had got there in time for the judging. He did win one of the Awards, BTW. I went over to introduce myself. I may have read it incorrectly but it really felt as if I was stepping on someones toes. It could have just been this guy. Other than he allowing me to look @ how his soft top was attached to the top frame and offering me some parts for sale, I really didn't feel the "Sunbeam luv". So, is this what I have to look forward to, from Tiger owners? Should I just not bother introducing myself? Sorry if this is off topic.
Ron

Ron:

This was just one guy; not all of us Tiger owners are like that. You've gotta figure that if a guy looks down his nose at another "Sunbeam" owner, then is he really a true "Sunbeam" enthusiast? Once again, a Sunbeam is a Sunbeam is a Sunbeam...they all came from the same manufacturer. Whether one model brings more in the marketplace than the other should have no bearing on the "enthusiasm" displayed by all Sunbeam fans for any Sunbeam. It's all in what you like or can afford, isn't it? I've got some die-hard British car friends who really don't care for my Tiger because it doesn't have that "British car" sound; it simply sounds like a hot rod to them. Well, okay...I have no problem with that. On the other hand, they think my Alpine is really cool. Once again, I have no problem with that. And then there are folks who freak out at car shows over the fact that "that little British car has a V8 in it," and they don't give the time of day to my Alpine sitting right next to it. So what? I've got the cars I want and I enjoy them.

My point here is that there should be no rivalry at all between Alpine and Tiger owners; there is simply no reason for it. The way I look at it, if a guy is a jerk, then he's gonna be a jerk no matter what he's driving. Don't let it bother you. After all, you've got the last laugh on anyone who puts you down...you get to drive the Sunbeam of your choice home, right?

Take care,

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
LOL - I would have paid to see that. I'll bet though, if you mentioned you were going to modify an Alpine, that crowd wouldn't have blinked an eye.

For every "stock" Tiger I've seen in my years, I've seen eight more modified with 302 V8, modern electronics, incorrect carbs, etc.

Looks like a double standard to me Jose!

Andy,

You are right. I once went to a Pacific Tiger club meet, and was talking with five or six guys. We were talking about Tigers, and I mentioned that I would like to have one some day. Someone asked me if I did get one, would I modify it, or would I leave it stock. When I answered that I have never owned a car that I didn't modify, the place blew up. Half the guys got offended and began an argument about it. They apparently thought that ALL Tigers should be completely stock, and that anyone who would have the temerity to modify THEIR OWN Tiger, was a heathen. Ignorance is not dead yet, and never will be.

We just have to ignore these simple folk and go on enjoying our cars the way we like them.

Jose

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Yeah, I'm sure you're right, Andy. People are people and he may have been having a bad day. A few of the other posts, in this thread, kinda reminded me of the "Harley vs everyone else on 2 wheels" "rivalry". I was wondering if it was as prevalent in the "LBC" community.
Ron

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Scott,

When this happened, I just stood there looking at these guys as if they had gone nuts. The reason they asked me if I would modify it, is because at that time, I had my turbo Alpine there at the same meet, and it is definitely modified, so they wanted to know if I would bastardize one of their worshipped idols.

What makes this so funny, is that people don't see that their position makes them look rediculous. People will look down their noses at anyone that doesn't think EXACTLY as they do. The sad thing, is that most of these guys are pretty vocal about their positions, and they feel that they just need to comment, as if their opinion will intimidate aothers into changing their cars to reflect their personal preferances.

I just ignore these ignorant people, because if I didn't, I would go crazy.

Jose

65beam

Donation Time
tiger gallery

if you wanted to see a tiger owner that did not know what to say, you should have been at the 2007 te/ae united in daytona. the wife's alpine was in the premier class that year. a tiger owner was looking at the body of the car and asked me who did the body and paint. i told him it was done at tiger auto. he mentioned that he thought they only restored tigers. well, the time was right to zap a tiger owner with an attitude so i proceeded to tell him that doug was working on the wife's old car and when it came back as a bare metal body, there was too much to repair. doug said to find him a good rust free car. i proceeded to tell this tiger owner that the only thing i could find was a rust free mk 2 tiger body so i bought it and doug converted it back to an alpine. the look on his face was priceless. my wife thought he might need cpr. we have had a lot of fun with this little fib ever since! what really is more fun is to tell them that the fastback has mk2 wheel well trim on it. doug installed a set of the ones he bought for many years for repair use on tigers. they actually are for the fastbacks, but require very little modification to fit tigers. that gets some blank looks also. i believe that many new tiger owners think the tigers are an entirely different car from the alpine due to the shelby connection. they came off the same body line and my belief is that they left certain body parts off if the body was going to jenson to become a tiger. i say this based on seeing many bare metal tigers over the years. there is one setting in a rack next to my alpine at this time. the big problem is that some tiger gurus can't tell tell restoration experts how far to go before it no longer is a tiger. we are planning to remove alpine rear quarters with some crash damage on my car and replace them with some pieces from a tiger that had serious undercarriage rust but no problems with most of the rear quarters. that shoud be some fun in years to come. we cut up a tiger to repair an alpine! i have only run into a few tiger owners with an attitude over the years and there are a few alpine owners with the same attitude. there would never have been a tiger without the alpine. some tiger owners are not aware of that. i believe that's where the problem comes from. we were close to having a tiger in the garage last week,only the wife wants to wait until the alpine is done. she and doug are both saying we need to take our time and find a good driver that doesn't need much. when that happens it should be interesting.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I haven't personally experienced it, the few Tiger owners I've met have been good people and most seem interested in my V6 project, in fact they raz me for the slow progress. Maybe "those" Tiger people look down at Alpine owners because they wish that they fit in with the Cobra people.:D

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I have been unable to read this thread until tonight.

I don't think we need to cover past experiences negative or positive. The question is should we add a Tiger or V6 Gallery?
Is this something the members want to see added?

There are some good points for the addition but there are also some considerations which really are the core reason for the club's formation - to bring focus on the Alpine.

Stay tuned and we should have an announcement shortly.

Steve Silverstein
SAOCA President

atallamcs

Donation Time
Gallery

Interesting discussion but coming back around to the post as Steve suggests would be helpful. I think that "Clubs" want two things; membership and money and often the later is derived from the members, increasing membership would be a natural for the fiscal health of the club. And after all, aren't we just talking about inches--cubic?
Bill

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Andrew has recently added a poll for voting members. I like this approach since it gives the members a voice.

It is a diverse club with Alpine owners as well as Tiger owners and other Rootes vehicles but the club really is about Alpines. We should never loose that focus on the Alpine.

You'll find the poll under the "SAOCA membership and discussion"

Steve

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
IThe question is should we add a Tiger or V6 Gallery?

Maybe not a V6 Gallery, but a Darksider Gallery or modification gallery, that could show pictures of the mods made to engines, exhaust, drivetrain, suspension, etc.

Andrew

Donation Time
Maybe not a V6 Gallery, but a Darksider Gallery or modification gallery, that could show pictures of the mods made to engines, exhaust, drivetrain, suspension, etc.

Hi Mike,

Come on guys, I am really busy here and I am trying to do what you want. I am sure that you don't mean to upset anyone but I don't think we should split hairs for the sake of giving ones two cents. Please give your input to the poll and get this done. I can always change titles and make your life worth living by changing a title after the poll is finished.

So if you are a member please vote as your vote is important!

Regards,
Andrew Masse

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Sorry, I was simply suggesting that it shouldn't be so narrowed down.
They could be combined as "Looks Like an Alpine, But...";)

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
You'll find the poll under the "SAOCA membership and discussion"

Stupid me! I cannot find the poll????

Thanks,

Andrew

Donation Time

Hi Mike,

It is not a problem. I just don't want this to get out of hand. Darksider Gallery sounds good to me.

Regards,
Andrew