• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tiger differential rebuild

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
I posted quite some time ago about noisy pinion bearings in the Tiger rear end. As it turns out the pinion bearings were not the culprit. After removing and tearing down the differential I found the differential carrier bearings were worn and needed replacement. So, as long as the entire rear end is apart, all bearings and seals will be replaced.

My local O' Reilly store has everything I need except for the inner rear axle seals. I did find a new set, though, at another source.

I'm fortunate to have good counter people at the local O'Reilly store, also at Advance and Pronto. If any Tiger owners need parts numbers for bearings and seals contact me and I will send them out to you.

Pete

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Did you make a housing spreader to release the bearing pre-loads to make it easier to install the differential carrier?
I'll need a copy of your list,
Thanks,
Jan

65beam

Donation Time
rebuild

Jan,
A couple of us were talking a few weeks ago and wondered if you're still working on the Tiger.

Alpine66

Donation Time
I posted quite some time ago about noisy pinion bearings in the Tiger rear end. As it turns out the pinion bearings were not the culprit. After removing and tearing down the differential I found the differential carrier bearings were worn and needed replacement. So, as long as the entire rear end is apart, all bearings and seals will be replaced.

My local O' Reilly store has everything I need except for the inner rear axle seals. I did find a new set, though, at another source.

I'm fortunate to have good counter people at the local O'Reilly store, also at Advance and Pronto. If any Tiger owners need parts numbers for bearings and seals contact me and I will send them out to you.

Pete

Thats a pleasant surprise about orielly having them Pete.

65beam

Donation Time
rebuild

We're a town of less than 5000 people and O'Reily's stocks a starter that fits Alpines. They list a lot of parts with over night delivery.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Did you make a housing spreader to release the bearing pre-loads to make it easier to install the differential carrier?
Thanks,
Jan

I sent you a pm requesting email address. Pete

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Differential rebuild is nearly finished. I am waiting for the 2 inner axle seals. I had to get them from an ebay source as none of the parts houses had them available. Everything else is ready. Pete

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
rear end

Thanks,
Jan

We just treated it like a Dana 44, which it is, and bought a master rebuild kit from a supplier.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Tiger is back home. Took a short drive to ensure the growling from the differential was gone. All is well - no whine, no growl. Happy owner! :)