• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tiger Brake/Clutch bleeders.

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi,

... Has any of the forum members used these type of bleeders and if so, how did you find them?
Thanks, Robin.

I believe we've come up to an American vs British usage confusion.

I think, Robin was not asking "where they can be found", because he put a link in his post, as to where they can be bought. I believe, he was asking, "if they worked or not". I've been looking at these things for both motorcycle and car applications, for quite some time, and would also like to know.
Ron

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I understood what he asked, I was just pointing out that he didn't have to get them from ebay. I've heard of people that have used them. The idea is to crack them open with a hose attached and a collection bottle. Then push the brake peddle. The fluid and air will pass through the check ball. When the brake is released and the pressure is reduced the internal spring closes the check ball preventing air from entering the bleeder. The treads are coated with a sealer to prevent air from entering around the threads. Then close the bleeder.

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
So Mike, have you actually used them? I understand how they are supposed to work, but do they actually work?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
It is interesting that the Alpine kit on eBay is more than the Tiger kit, as it contains 2 rear bleeders, while the Tiger only contains one. I know the Alpine only has one rear bleed screw; is the Tiger the same way, or does he have the two cars mixed up? It wouldn't matter for Series I-3, since the numbers are the same, but SIV and SV show a different clutch bleeder.

You are purchasing five Speed Bleeders for your Sunbeam Alpine. Two of the Speed Bleeders are for your front brakes, two are for your rear brakes, and one is for the clutch.

The front bleeders are: SB3824L

The rear bleeders are: SB3824HD

The clutch is: SB3824 series 1, 2, 3

The clutch is: SB71620 series 4,5

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I would imagine they work fine for doing regular maitenance - i.e. exchanging of old brake fluid with new. After all, they're really just a spring-loaded check valve. But with a new master cylinder they probably won't work very well, since a new master initially tends to get air-bound and you can get into foaming and failure to bleed situations.

I use the Gunson's EZ-Bleed system, and I really like it a lot - it's custom made for Girling/Lockheed systems and works a treat. Uses a small amount of air pressure from your tire to push the fluid from the top of the master all the way through the system, virtually eliminating any bubbles, and more importantly, it completely prevents foaming that can occur when using the somewhat old-fashioned method of pumping (and also as with automatic bleed nipples, such as those referenced).

pb_gunsons.jpg

Link:

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
No, I haven't used them. I do it the old fashioned way. My wife pumps the pedal, I bleed.:p

Yeah, that's the way I would normally do it, Mike, except my wife isn't the pumping type, so have to wait until a buddy comes over. :( I've tried a couple of the cheap "one-person" bleeders, but none work well.
Thanks

64beam

Donation Time
It is interesting that the Alpine kit on eBay is more than the Tiger kit, as it contains 2 rear bleeders, while the Tiger only contains one. I know the Alpine only has one rear bleed screw; is the Tiger the same way, or does he have the two cars mixed up? It wouldn't matter for Series I-3, since the numbers are the same, but SIV and SV show a different clutch bleeder.

Hi Jim,

The Tiger's only has a single bleeder also (mine anyway), but he does have kits for every application.

Regards, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
I would imagine they work fine for doing regular maitenance - i.e. exchanging of old brake fluid with new. After all, they're really just a spring-loaded check valve. But with a new master cylinder they probably won't work very well, since a new master initially tends to get air-bound and you can get into foaming and failure to bleed situations.

I use the Gunson's EZ-Bleed system, and I really like it a lot - it's custom made for Girling/Lockheed systems and works a treat. Uses a small amount of air pressure from your tire to push the fluid from the top of the master all the way through the system, virtually eliminating any bubbles, and more importantly, it completely prevents foaming that can occur when using the somewhat old-fashioned method of pumping (and also as with automatic bleed nipples, such as those referenced).

pb_gunsons.jpg

Link:

You have sold me ;) . I have just ordered one. It will certainly make the job easier for me and I like the various caps that come with the kit for various applications.

Thanks for the reference.

Regards, Robin.

gordonra

Donation Time
I just got finished installing and using a set of the self bleeders on both front and back of my Series V.

They cost me $10 per pair up at the local autoparts (Pepboys), and I have to tell you.... I like them a lot.

They work great! They do come in two threads... 3/8-24 (for the Alpine) and M10. Make sure you get the right thread.... they are very close.

gordonra

Donation Time
How about the clutch slave? Does that use the same bleeder?

More than likely, yes. However, I did not use one on the clutch. Probably a good idea though.

All of the stock brake fittings appear to be 3/8-24.

If anyone has found different, please advise.

64beam

Donation Time
I just got finished installing and using a set of the self bleeders on both front and back of my Series V.

They cost me $10 per pair up at the local autoparts (Pepboys), and I have to tell you.... I like them a lot.

They work great! They do come in two threads... 3/8-24 (for the Alpine) and M10. Make sure you get the right thread.... they are very close.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, that was the feedback that I was looking for. Are the bleeders that you bought, the same style as the Ebay items linked to my first post?

Thanks you, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

To follow up on the brake bleeders that I purchased for the Tiger, I installed them today and found it very easy to bleed the system. I also replaced my brake lines with Goodridge braided style lines at the same time. This was my first attempt at bleeding the brakes and it was done with very little effort. There was a few things that I did that wasted a bit of brake fluid, but I put that down to experience. I thoroughly recommend the brake bleeders with the check valves in them for simple ease of use.

Regards, Robin.