• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tiger Body?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Sure looked like it to me. Unless it was someone's abandoned Alger project. And, "The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale." I'd guess that someone made the seller a cash offer they thought was ridiculous for an Alpine body and someone grabbed (or stole) a bargain.

63 Beamer

Donation Time
The last bid I saw on this before the listing ended was for $3000. Tried to get a first-hand look at the body but wasn't able to get close to it as it was already sold. I was thinking the same thing about that poor Tiger near Philly.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Tiger

I reckon it was a Tiger shell looking at the ribs in the trans tunnel, most of the bids were by the same person, maybe the seller discovered what it really was who knows

64beam

Donation Time
It also has what looks like two holes in the rear quarter panel as per the Tiger's Rootes badge and also has no battery box. It would have been nice to see in the engine bay as well. These also make me think that it is a Tiger as well. I agree that the seller may not have known what it actually was.

Regards, Robin.

Mikeflbmer

Bronze Level Sponsor
Tiger Body

That was a woman that was pissed her boyfreind left her....It was his car and she's getting even....She had no idea what it was...someone called her and made a deal for 4k...ending the auction (that had bids) A new boyfreind answers the phone....but speka not good engliese....(welcome to america) sold with out papers...better hope old boyfreind doesnt come looking for it with a lug wrench in hand...mike

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
If he still has the papers, then he has recourse. The sale is null and void since it was done without consent of the titled owner. So he, with the assitance of the sheriff or police can reclaim the property from 'buyer' and that buyer is out the cash and the car. His only recovery is to go back to the jilted girl and demand his money. If she refuses, it's off to small claims court.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
My prediction is that the buyer knew exactly what was happening, and dealt as anonymously as possible, and in cash. It's probably long gone. The authentic owner's best bet is to flood Tiger and TAC locations with the numbers, and any photos/details of the shell. That may not be enough, though. Hope it works out well, but there's more chance that it won't.

Ken

agmason

Donation Time
"That was a woman that was pissed her boyfreind left her....It was his car and she's getting even"

It could have been a divorce and a woman scorned is hell on earth!

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
That was a woman that was pissed her boyfreind left her....It was his car and she's getting even....She had no idea what it was...someone called her and made a deal for 4k...ending the auction (that had bids) A new boyfreind answers the phone....but speka not good engliese....(welcome to america) sold with out papers...better hope old boyfreind doesnt come looking for it with a lug wrench in hand...mike

Mike: At the risk of exposing myself as someone who doesn't get the joke, I am curious: is this really true? Did you talk to her? Its hard to believe she would be stupid enough to admit that she was selling a car that didn't belong to her. I could be wrong, but wouldn't that make her guilty of a felony?

64beam

Donation Time
Wasn't there a similar case in the UK (I think) that tried to, or sold her cheating partners sports car for basically nothing as revenge. I remember it being on the news a while back.

alpine_64

Donation Time
My prediction is that the buyer knew exactly what was happening, and dealt as anonymously as possible, and in cash. It's probably long gone. The authentic owner's best bet is to flood Tiger and TAC locations with the numbers, and any photos/details of the shell. That may not be enough, though. Hope it works out well, but there's more chance that it won't.

Ken

If this is the case i'd wonder why we havent heard about the "stolen or missing tiger" Norm Millers site has a listing of stolen tigers.. and if its misisng why wouldn't someone on the lists/boards be warning people to look out for it? The sunbeam community is quite small.

Also whose to say its a tiger.. not many photos.. maybe an abandoned alger project?

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Wasn't there a similar case in the UK (I think) that tried to, or sold her cheating partners sports car for basically nothing as revenge. I remember it being on the news a while back.

There was an old joke about the guy that left his wife and sent her a letter about selling his valuable classic muscle car. Her reply said she sold the car as he had asked and the he should find the $10.00 she got for it in the envelope.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I interpreted Mikeflmbr's post as "fact", since it was not identified as conjecture. The second word in my post is "prediction." ;)
The general consensus from the photos was Tiger, but its authenticity takes a team of folks an hour or two to verify. So that can't happen from ebay pix. My prediction :) is that it'll never be seen in that form again, but rather as a completed car two years from now, after "undergoing extensive restoration." But that's just a prediction...

Ken

Jim E

Donation Time
What I would be interested to know is where the rest of the car is, somewhere there is a large pile of bits. You would think if there was an issue someone would know something more than has come up. This car has got a lot of print on the WWW. You would think some Sunbeam guy somewhere would know or have heard the back story.

mikephillips

Donation Time
I expect that the original identity will be gone if it was still on the body and when it reappears it'll be the basis of a restoration of another car that was rusted or wrecked or otherwise unusable. Since there's nothing to identify a particular a body to a specific car, other than the removable tags, how could you prove anything?? And if the body left town, it'll be even harder.

chris

Donation Time
I expect that the original identity will be gone if it was still on the body and when it reappears it'll be the basis of a restoration of another car that was rusted or wrecked or otherwise unusable. Since there's nothing to identify a particular a body to a specific car, other than the removable tags, how could you prove anything?? And if the body left town, it'll be even harder.

I agree if there was ever a car to pull a vin switch on its the Sunbeam. This car is long gone.

Jim E

Donation Time
Well there is a chance the rear end could ID the car, then again it is a removable part and who is to say the rear end under the car now is the one it came with. Look there are all sorts of posiblities... the car was stolen years ago and the owner got the insurance and does not know or care and is not connected to the beam world of today, it is a restoration that the owner failed to pay for and lost, the owner died, the X got the car in the divorce and does not want to think about it anymore. Lord knows I could have easy lost my Alpines that way a couple years back and if I had the VIN and titles would have not admitted to it and would not have wanted to think much about it later. Instead I traded a new Hemi Magnum for them.... and do not want to think much about that... my gut feeling is it is a failed restoration project of one sort or another and it is a lucky thing the car is in as much of one piece as it is being the seller had not much odea of what it is could have easy been sold for metal.