• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

tiger authentication

67brg

Silver Level Sponsor
I,m looking at a Tiger to purchase but am a bit concerned. He says it is authenticated but this car has a battery box behind the right seat and the battery is there. I thought all Tigers had trunk mounted batteries and no box behind the seat. Can anyone verify this. Other than that the car looks good

mikephillips

Donation Time
Should not be a battery box, tiger bodies didn't have one spotwelded in. Instead the fuel pump was in that location mounted to a bracket running front to back. The battery should be in the trunk on the RH side as you face forwards. There should be two small brackets welded to the cover over the rear suspension rail where the battery retaining rods hooked, both are ahead of the rubber plug in the cover.

If it really has been authenticated there should be a sticker in the RH footwell by the wiper motor.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Tiger

I have the battery mounted behind the passenger seat in my Tiger, when
we went to have ours authenticated in maryland, they would not or could not authenicate there were no holes where the fuel pump was mounted from
the factory.

mikephillips

Donation Time
I can't say absolutely positive it is or isn't based on that one detail alone. Who knows what a prior owner might have done. But if they authenticated the shell the sticker should be there by the wiper motor. If there isn't one, then that is a bigger question mark.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
That's

Not the only thing they look at. I have a pal with a Tiger not TACed
yet but has a Alpine battery box on driver side. I guess it was easier than replacing a 16 or so foot battery cable. It's kinda nice no one looks there and when they do they are confused by it. He has more room in trunk and a easily reached ground switch.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Not the only thing they look at. I have a pal with a Tiger not TACed
yet but has a Alpine battery box on driver side. I guess it was easier than replacing a 16 or so foot battery cable. It's kinda nice no one looks there and when they do they are confused by it. He has more room in trunk and a easily reached ground switch.

Where does the right-side exhaust get routed?

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Tiger

Same place as always, in my case, we also removed the tire well and modified the bulkhead makes for a roomy trunk.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Did they

Have 1 senior, and 2 other inspectors available?
It was T.U right.
It's a small battery exhaust is stock.

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
67 BRG,

If they say the car has been TAC'd there will be a small triangle sticker under the dash on the RHS of the car, it will have the TAC number. Look up the VIN number on the STOA or the rootes1 websites.

If it is not listed there email Norm Miller off the rootes1 website he can confirm if the car has been inspected and what the outcome was.

TAC looks at many different factors of the body to determine if it was a Jensen modified car. The battery shouldn't be where it is currently, but that would not stop the car from being authenticated... there are many other areas that can show the cars true origins. You could remove the whole rear 1/3 of the car and they could still identify if the rest was a factory built tiger.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Stoa

Website lists the currently TACed cars, they have upgraded since I last looked BRAVO!
All you gotta do is put in vin no. If car has been inspected its there.
If there is no triangle, and no listing no TAC.
I have seen early TACed cars with the triangle inside boot on bulkhead, but only in pictures.

The process got changed after cars got smashed in rear. Not sure as to when it moved to underside of fresh air box

N.M. registry checks tag data against ledger data. Other source is Graham Vickery in U.K.Tiger Club.
There is a link on STOA site for Patrick King he is the head guy.

Last edited: