• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tiger Aluminium Air Cleaner.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I have been curious about the 'Tiger' aluminium air cleaner that I have on my Tiger. I always assumed that these were LAT items to match the 'Tiger - powered by Ford' rocker covers. When I looked in the book of Norman, I can't seem to find anything :confused: . Were these an aftermarket option or did someone decide to produce them?

Thanks you, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
You wouldassume they were an LAT option given how closely they resemble the LAT rocker covers, however they are not LAT or even ROOTES. Not sure when the first round of these was done, but must have been late 60's. There was someone remaking them in the UK a few years back but i believe they passed away. Either way they are still a nice looking part and do work well with LAT covers.

jmthehermit

Donation Time
A pic would help Robin. Two guys in my area made a three piece air cleaner assembly circa 1980. Cast aluminum with a threaded tiger head as a hold down bolt. Jeff

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Jeff,

Attached is a picture of my air cleaner that I am referring to. I believe that the Cobra's had a similar style air cleaner available as well.

Regards, Robin.

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Hi Robin, thats the one they made! Originally $80 for the three pieces and advertised as "East Coast 1" in TE/AE about 1980. Supposedly numbered but I never found out how many were cast. The idea was to produce a matching assembly to the cast LAT covers. Certainly not a Rootes part, but a nice match. Jeff

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Robin, thats the one they made! Originally $80 for the three pieces and advertised as "East Coast 1" in TE/AE about 1980. Supposedly numbered but I never found out how many were cast. The idea was to produce a matching assembly to the cast LAT covers. Certainly not a Rootes part, but a nice match. Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for that, as I stated earlier I originally thought that they were LAT but I was wrong. My Dad purchased the one on the car from Canada through Ebay and he had some cast a while back. I believe they were sold locally here, but had some issues with shrinkage after casting (which apparently is common with aluminium).

Regards, Robin.

66Tiger

Donation Time
They look nice...I believe there is one advertised in the CAT newsletter (not sure if it's in the TEAE newsletter) for sale for $450 (if only he would accept a payment plan).

Paul

66tiger289

Donation Time
Aluminum Air Cleaner

I just got this picture from my CNC guy. What do you guys think???
I have not fit it to the car yet but it should work fine. It uses a stock K&N E3515 filter

photo.jpg

mikephillips

Donation Time
If I recall correctly there were 100 sets made, although I don't remember exactly when other than the 1980s. The one I have I got from Tiger Tom Erhart in the US, he had 2-3 left at the time in the early 90s. Since I didn't have an original air cleaner with the car, made an acceptable substitute. Mine's number 98 I think.