• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tiger alternator

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm trying to help a fellow member with the wiring on his SV Alpine. Somewhere during prior ownership the Alpine regulator was replaced with a Ford regulator, still using the Alpine/Lucas Alternator. This was done by a shop in 1985. From photos I see the regulator has 3 white wires, 2 yellow and 1 black. There may be a model or part number but it does not appear in the photos. I think Mark II Tigers used an Alternator and am wondering if they used a Lucas Alt and a Ford regulator. If so does anyone have a wiring diagram for the charging system?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Iirc the mkii tigers alternator was a usa ford part:
Autolite C5DF-10300-A, I belive a 15amp version.

There might be a wiring diagram on the teae site or tigersunited

* NOTE, CORRECTION : SHOULD BE 15 VOLTS

Last edited:

pruyter

Donation Time
Hi Tom,

I have such a diagram for you and now the challenge is how do I get the scan of this diagram attached to this email...
Well it seems that I got it right.

Regards,

Peter

Attachments

• Wiring diagram alternator Tiger 001.jpg
    Wiring diagram alternator Tiger 001.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Alternator Tiger 001.jpg
    Alternator Tiger 001.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 23

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks, guys, especially Peter. This gives me a clue. But clearly the regulator in his car is NOT one from a Tiger.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I assume the charging system isn't working at this point. Is the alternator known to be good? Could the regulator be bad? Is there a concern with swapping in a "known" regulator where the wiring will be straightforward?

Mike

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike, the charging system is working, but there are other electrical issues and so many wires that seem to be in the wrong place, mostly in the brown wires, which are the unswitched and unfused wires, of course. It seemed logical to first figure out the charging system. But that may not be the most appropriate or fruitful approach. Trying to figure this out from 300 miles away from the car and its owner. We may just leave the charging system as is and start probing volts and ohms on the problem wires. But I suspect that will get us back to the charging system in short order (no pun intended!).

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ok so it looks like the regulator is not a Tiger regulator, but rather a slightly later, fairly standard Ford regulator. I'll restart this thread on Stock section

Jeff@1965Tiger

Donation Time
Gentlemen, I have a 1965 sunbeam Tiger which I wish to upgrade to a more compact alternator. I purchased a Denso 1 wire alternator and bracket to align and mount.
Now come the wiring ... I do not want to recreate the wheel since I know some have done this before with good success.
However, I have seen several diagrams, but they seem conflicting. I would like a simple diagram to hook up the alternator using, as needed, the existing wires. I have purchased a sacrificial voltage regulator to use as a junction block. So, can someone in the club share how to marry the 1 wire to the existing wiring? Please and thank you. Jeff

Jeff@1965Tiger

Donation Time
  • I have installed a mini Denzo alternator. I would like to use as much of the stock wiring, if possible, since it is there and was used by the generator. Obviously, there are changes needed. I have a spare voltage regulator to use as a Dummy or "Junction Block" as I have seen some do. Please look at the attached diagram. I would appreciate knowing what goes where and why. Please draw on it to show what's needed and/or what changes should be made. Thank you.

Attachments

• 1965 Tiger diagram to Wire for Denzo Alternator.jpg
    1965 Tiger diagram to Wire for Denzo Alternator.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 7

Jeff@1965Tiger

Donation Time
I have installed the bracket and alternator. I would like to use as much of the stock wiring, if possible, since it is there and was used by the generator. Obviously, there are changes needed. I have a spare voltage regulator to use as a Dummy or "Junction Block" as I have seen some do. Please look at the attached diagram. I would appreciate knowing what goes where and why. Please draw on it to show what's needed and/or what changes should be made. Thank you.

Attachments

• 1965 Tiger diagram to Wire for Denzo Alternator.jpg
    1965 Tiger diagram to Wire for Denzo Alternator.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 5