• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tiger/Alpine Braces

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

It may sound like a silly question, but are the Tiger and Alpine braces the same? As the Tiger has a flatter and wider inner guard stiffener, would they be slightly longer? I was considering moving the coil off the intake manifold, but in a stock Tiger there aren't many places to choose from. I like where the Alpine coils are mounted, but I don't want to modify the original braces.

Thank you, Robin.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Robin,

I wouldn't move the coil to one of the braces, because you may inadvertantly make servicing the plugs harder than it already is. If you want to move the coil, I would suggest putting it inside the passenger cabin, under the false floor on the passenger side. If the Tiger doesn't have this pan, you could mount it under the dash against the firewall.

Jose

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
The braces are the same length but do not mount to the same bolt pattern as the Alpine, they are not interchangable.:eek:

66Tiger

Donation Time
I second what George said. They look the same but won't bolt up do to different angles of the bolt pattern.

Paul

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Maybe they changed in the later cars. In my early one, built the end of 64, they interchange with the Alpine ones. Not swapping side to side but from Alpine to Tiger works.

Don't know squat about Tigers, but not all Alpine braces are the same.

Bill

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

Thank you all for your comments.

Jose, that is an unusual position for the coil. Did you mount your coil in that position? I don't know whether I would mount it in the foot well or on the fire wall,but for the amount of times I would need to access the spark plugs the brace would suit me better. I have seen coils mounted on the front of the engine block as well, but the oil filter rules that out for me without even more mods.

Regards, Robin.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Robin,

I not only have placed the coil inside the cabin, but I have put the electronic ignition boxes inside there too. I recommend doing this to all my customers, because it not only cleans up the engine compartment, but the electronics will last longer when they are out of the engine bay heat.

On the 2.8 V6, the distributor sits in the back of the engine, so the distance from there to the inside of the cabin is pretty short. The coil wire doesn't need to be very long to reach, which on your Tiger would need to be longer. I saw a picture of a Tiger on this board that has all the electricals hidden, so I'm sure the owner placed it inside too. The engine bay on that Tiger looked fantastic because of it.

In the end, only you can decide what you want to do with it. Was only a suggestion after all.

Jose

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Robin,

I not only have placed the coil inside the cabin, but I have put the electronic ignition boxes inside there too. I recommend doing this to all my customers, because it not only cleans up the engine compartment, but the electronics will last longer when they are out of the engine bay heat.

On the 2.8 V6, the distributor sits in the back of the engine, so the distance from there to the inside of the cabin is pretty short. The coil wire doesn't need to be very long to reach, which on your Tiger would need to be longer. I saw a picture of a Tiger on this board that has all the electricals hidden, so I'm sure the owner placed it inside too. The engine bay on that Tiger looked fantastic because of it.

In the end, only you can decide what you want to do with it. Was only a suggestion after all.

Jose

Thanks Jose, it certainly makes sense with the amount of heat generated in the my Tiger's engine bay. If I went that way, I would definately have to get a custom lead made up to reach. I vaguely remember that Tiger as well. I might try to locate the link.

Thanks again, Robin.

66Tiger

Donation Time
I personally took braces off of a Series 4 and a 5 and they would not work on my Tiger. They were close but no cigar. Mike, are you sure yours came from an Alpine?

I can't imagine Rootes or Chrysler fiddling/changing anything on cars after the Series 3 and the start of the Tiger run...to avoid unnecessary costs...but you never know.

The previous owner chromed my Tiger braces, and the chrome was in poor condition...so I wanted to paint them. I ended up having to use my braces and prepped them the best I could.

Paul

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I personally took braces off of a Series 4 and a 5 and they would not work on my Tiger. They were close but no cigar. Mike, are you sure yours came from an Alpine?

I can't imagine Rootes or Chrysler fiddling/changing anything on cars after the Series 3 and the start of the Tiger run...to avoid unnecessary costs...but you never know.

The previous owner chromed my Tiger braces, and the chrome was in poor condition...so I wanted to paint them. I ended up having to use my braces and prepped them the best I could.

Paul

Interesting about mentioning the chrome braces.Some time a go there was an owner who had the braces chromed.They were from a car 11 numbers away from the one he was going to install them.Guess what?Yep they didn't fit.
Evidently a Rootes engineer could come up with an idea on Monday and the following Monday it would be in the works.I at least have heard this a few different times and how true it was I can't say.Makes one wonder though.

agmason

Donation Time
The parts book lists three different part number sets for the "reinforcement tube" for Alpines from Series III to V depending on chassis number. The same part number for the Alpine as for the Tiger is listed for "From B9201600 up to intro. 2239524/5 (except 260)". Why they exclude the Tiger I don't know because the Tiger supplement has the same part number. An Alpine tube should work on a Tiger and vice a versa depending on chassis number. They also have "shim -Tube to bulkhead A/R" listed I guess to make up for production variances.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I was having a look at the braces in the Tiger today while I was changing my carburettor jetting and I am only going by memory, but I think the Tiger's braces are shorter. I will have to check them to confirm my thoughts when I next see my Alpine. It's not surprising that there are three different types just between the series III to V. That's Rootes for you.

Regards, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Well the SI/II cars have loger braces IIRC correctly as they extend fown and the point at where they mount is above where the susepnsion locates, the later cars its in a higher position (this is memory.. not checked it in a long time) and the later cars also have the bracket for the coil instead of having it mounted from the side of the motor.