• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

This listing brings tears to my eyes

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Not to worry. Someone will buy the car, saw out the firewall and a few other goodies, mate them up with a rust free Alpine and Bingo! A $40,000 Tiger will emerge.

Bill

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
This is a real shame; to let the car get to this condition in the first place. He should have sold it before it got this bad. I guess he thinks he will threaten someone into buying it for what he wants for it, by saying he'll let it just rust away if he doesn't get what he thinks it's worth.. As I see it, it won't be long before it is just a pile of iron oxide any way. What a shame.

I wonder what he thinks it's worth.

Jose :(

agmason

Donation Time
The sad part is he believes he can get over $500 for the rusted out hulk. I know of a local guy who has at least 15 Sunbeam Alpines and a couple of Tigers rotting in a fenced in yard. I first saw them in 1994 and a couple may have been salvageble. Not any more.

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Who ever buys and restores this chassis certainly qualifies for the more money than brains club. Parted out, the car is worth more than the starting bid.

skywords

Donation Time
I looked at that earlier today and had the same reaction. He actually admits to being the buffoon that exposed that wonderful car to the elements for all those years. The price of a few tarps would have paid huge dividends.
would of should of could of:rolleyes:

64beam

Donation Time
Never mind cutting the fire wall out, it will fall out by itself :eek: . I actually saw this listing yesterday and I can't believe that someone could just let the poor thing rust away :( . Obviously they don't know their true value. Norman can strike that one off the list.

Regards, Robin.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rick, tarps will not do a whole lot of good as long as the car is parked over dirt. In high humid areas, dirt under the car gets saturated. The moisture wicks out of the ground, evaporates, raises up to the car, condenses and supports rust. Parking the car on a hard surface and tarping it will work.

Bill

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Ah yes, the general public. And the line "there is some joy for me going into the woods and visiting it.........?" Pity there wasn't one of those angry grizzly bears about a few years ago, back when there was still something worth saving:eek:. Deceased estate anyone?

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Robin, I don't think Norman strikes anything off his list. He might note that it may resurface as an alger in the future. The real value in this auction is you're buying a Tiger title with correct tags and a matching numbers drive train. It's just a lot easier to sacrifice a solid Alpine than to reconstruct that chassis. I don't think an ordinary sane person would buy a car in that condition and pay to have it restored as the final cost would probably exceed the market value. Jeff

alpine_64

Donation Time
Perhaps thsi should go to another thread for what im about to ask..

We all know or can quickly learn of the Alger issue...

but what happens if you sacrafic a very rusty tiger to complete a partial tiger? I guess it all comes down to if you swap VINS or which car is welded to which.. i guess its always a Tiger if the VIn stays on that scuttle.

64beam

Donation Time
Robin, I don't think Norman strikes anything off his list. He might note that it may resurface as an alger in the future. The real value in this auction is you're buying a Tiger title with correct tags and a matching numbers drive train. It's just a lot easier to sacrifice a solid Alpine than to reconstruct that chassis. I don't think an ordinary sane person would buy a car in that condition and pay to have it restored as the final cost would probably exceed the market value. Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Your probably right. Don't all final costs of restorations always exceed their market value. That is unless your have a very sought after car.

Regards, Robin.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Most find that as long as the shell is determined to be originally a Tiger that how many cars the other parts came from is not an issue. So you could have a car with all origianly bits, or one with parts from a dozen others and no complaints.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ah yes, the general public. And the line "there is some joy for me going into the woods and visiting it.........?" Pity there wasn't one of those angry grizzly bears about a few years ago, back when there was still something worth saving:eek:. Deceased estate anyone?

Sorry, there aren't any grizzlies in New Jersey.

You guys are killing me, acting like this car will not be mated with a nice Alpine to produce a great Tiger.

Bill

bbonner

Donation Time
I saw this too. It is so sad. I seriously looked at it but could not bring myself to imagine it finished. My son is an autobody tech and I haven't dared show him it. What a shame. I hope someone is able to salvage it but it looks bad.