• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

The SAOCA and the SAOC: Exciting new benefit for SAOCA members!

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
The SAOCA Board is very pleased to announce that our Club has formed an alliance with the UK’s Sunbeam Alpine Owner’s Club (SAOC). As a starting point in that alliance, effective immediately all Platinum and Diamond SAOCA members now have access to the SAOC’s bi-monthly publication: The Horn. Greggers, our Technical Director, has added a new Platinum+ section to the forum. Platinum+ members now automatically see this forum when they log into the site and are able to access our pdf copy of the Horn there.

All SAOCA Club members are also encouraged to send them articles for publication in the Horn. Let’s all work to make that an even more valuable club resource!

The Horn is just the start. As soon as we get them the Platinum+ member email addresses (more on that in a moment), our members will have full access to their website! (Non members are currently excluded from their technical articles and some forum content.) And, the SAOC is preparing a pdf copy of their Alpine Guide for us! While this document is about 30 years old, it has a great deal of very useful content and is really an invaluable resource for Alpine owners. I was a member of the SAOC about 10 years ago and still refer to my Guide regularly. That will also be posted to the new Platinum+ forum as soon as it is ready.

Platinum and Diamond members today only make up about 20% of the SAOCA’s supporting members (and a much smaller proportion of total forum users!). We want this new benefit to encourage the rest of you to support the Club, so we have set up a special one-time process to allow you to increase your membership level:
  • Anyone who already contributed to the Rootes Archive Trust during our ‘fund drive’ will be automatically upgraded to Platinum for the remainder of the membership year (through September).
  • Current supporting members (Bronze plus) can be upgraded to Platinum by making a $10 donation to the Trust. Non members can upgrade for a $15 donation, which includes $5 (Bronze level) for the Club followed by a $10 donation to the Trust. Just click here to be taken to our Donation page, which now has the upgrade section added.
While these new benefits will only be available to some of our members, all of us will soon benefit from the association. Just as many of our members manufacture restoration and customization parts, their members do too. We are working with them to create a combined Spares program that consolidates these parts on both sides of the pond. We will start this list with Club members’ parts and hope to expand it to outside suppliers as time goes on. The two clubs have other joint plans and these will be shared as they become finalized.

Three caveats before closing:
  • First, we do have quite a few European members. Unfortunately, we cannot make SAOC publications available to you without jumping through a number of EU data protection hoops, so the Horn and (later) the Guide are only available to Platinum+ members outside of Europe.
  • Second, we don’t want to share email addresses without permission, even for something as beneficial as this. Therefore, we will soon be sending an opt-out email to all Platinum+ members. You won’t have to do anything if we have your permission to send your email address to the SAOC, but please reply ASAP to let us know if you do not want it shared. Not sharing won’t impact your access to our forum content, but it will prevent you from being able to access the SAOC’s entire website, as they control permissions via email addre
  • And, finally, you should know that simplifying our current membership levels is one of the things the Board has discussed. We currently have five different levels – Bronze through Diamond – and the Club actually nets very little from a few of them after expenses (e.g., calendars and window stickers). There has been no specific discussion on this topic to date; it is just something we know needs to be looked at. However, no changes will be made until the current membership year expires at the end of September and anyone who increases their 2018 membership level to take advantage of the new joint association will not lose that access during the membership year.
I think this is a great opportunity for all of us on both sides of the pond! Watch this space for more information as we continue to work to forge ever-closer ties between our two Alpine Clubs!

Last edited:

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Thanks to the management for the behind-the-scenes work in making this happen. It's a very logical step, and there's lots of great info there. I was a member of SAOC for awhile, until something technical went awry, and thanks to your collective efforts it seems that will soon be fixed. (I may need to contact them to merge or delete that membership -- whichever is best, but I'll cross that bridge once things are more dialed in.)

Thanks again to all!

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thank for making this happen. What a great magazine the UK Alpine club has with lot of info and parts suppliers, glad that I can now read it !

GlennB

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi All, I'd like to introduce myself as the SAOC 'rep' for overseas communications and I worked on this program with Jim Stone. We are very pleased Jim suggested this to our President. We are also excited about the program too, although in truth it will probably be a slow burn as we have to sort out a load of scanning and do a bit more admin. I am available to answer any relevant questions you may have either here or via my SAOC email - events@sunbeamalpineowners.club - maybe you are planning a visit to the UK and want to know of any meetings or shows you can attend. You can also ask Jim about stuff.

I was an original founding member of the SAOC and first editor for 2 years, and then had a 39 year break, returning in 2009 after I bought my Harrington Le Mans. I was then editor again for another 6 years but now do easier stuff - although I seem to be editor again for this summer!! We are all volunteers so please be patient with any queries or requests. Easier to route things through Jim or me. If necessary I can also link folks to the ARCC/RACT contacts where there is a mass of info.

Best regards to all, especially those of you I have talked to personally in the past - although my USA travel has now stopped as a result of my recently enforced unemployment! (but my wife still loves me, so no problem).
GlennB

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks, Glenn! And, we're looking forward to working together to straighten to global Alpine community.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
The latest issue of the SAOC's Horn is now posted here for all Platinum and Diamond members. 48 pages of Alpine content! I've got some reading to do!

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Another great issue! Jim will there be a section for USA article/event contributions?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Good question, Eric. We haven't mapped out a plan for that. It probably depends on how regularly we submit. We could probably get a regular spot if they can count on us.