• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

The Modern Internet

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Has anyone noticed that as the internet matures, its value to the user degenerates? It has gotten so bad that in order to continue to send/receive e-mail, we had to establish a gmail account. Mail sent to me @comcast is intercepted by the comcast server, readdressed to the gmail addy then forwarded to me and received as mail sent to the comcast addy. Understand all that ? I don't.

With all the internet ads ads and internet security, I'm seriously contemplating pulling the internet plug. Right now, whenever I go to a site that no longer recognizes my login, I just say, "Piss on it" and continue as a non-member. Right now, I'm down to the SAOCA and Paypal. I have no idea how long that will last. If I happen to have no email when my current security lapses, there is no way to verify the log in. If I happen to be in a super pissed off mood, I won't even try.

Bill

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Has anyone noticed that as the internet matures, its value to the user degenerates? It has gotten so bad that in order to continue to send/receive e-mail, we had to establish a gmail account. Mail sent to me @comcast is intercepted by the comcast server, readdressed to the gmail addy then forwarded to me and received as mail sent to the comcast addy. Understand all that ? I don't.

With all the internet ads ads and internet security, I'm seriously contemplating pulling the internet plug. Right now, whenever I go to a site that no longer recognizes my login, I just say, "Piss on it" and continue as a non-member. Right now, I'm down to the SAOCA and Paypal. I have no idea how long that will last. If I happen to have no email when my current security lapses, there is no way to verify the log in. If I happen to be in a super pissed off mood, I won't even try.

Bill

Bill,

Sounds like Auto Forwarding is enabled in your Xfinity (aka Comcast) account settings.

FWIW, I noticed the change while you were in the hospital.

I think you can stop the auto-forwarding by:

1. Go to xfinity.com

2. Click on the email icon at the top of the page

3. Log-in using your PRIMARY account user name & password

4. Click on the settings icon (looks vaguely like a spur gear) at the far top-right of the page and then click on the word Settings

5. Under Mail, click on Auto Forward

6. Un-check the Enable email forwarding box and delete the forwarding address

7. Click on Sign Out (under your user name) at the top-right of the page to activate the change.

If that does not work, we will try something else.

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
You misunderstand. The autoforwarding is the only thing that allows me to email. Without it, I cannot send email, even when logged into my Xfinity account. Incoming would usually appear on the Xfinity account, but would not appear in my inbox, but I could not respond. I also lost all addresses. So I'm getting close to saying screw it.
Bill

Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
OK, here is another possibility.

Comcast / Xfinity has been transitioning their incoming e-mail system from POP to IMAP. The bottom line is that they are beginning to force changes on the incoming mail server settings and (depending on your geographical location) the old comcast POP server (mail.comcast.net) on Port 110 may have stopped working. My Comcast e-mail stopped working with the old pop server (mail.comcast.net) and both ports 110 and 995 about a month ago.

The new preferred incoming mail server settings are:

Name: imap.comcast.net
Port #: 995 with SSL on (Comcast says 993, but it will not work for me)
The new outgoing mail server setting are:

Name: smtp.comcast.net
Port #: 587 (smtp)
465 (smtps)
How you change the mail server settings depends on which mail client you are using. If you can't find the appropriate details online, send me a PM with your phone number and we can do it via "phone conference".

FWIW, I use Thunderbird (Mozilla) because I am too cheap to pay for Outlook and too lazy to change to Win 10 Mail.

Last edited: