• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

The Journey Begins - Series I V6 Restomod

Rockonp04

Donation Time
After a lot of discussion with people here and some research I’ve about become convinced that the Offey intake may not be all it’s cracked up to be...it’s popular because it’s the only 4 bbl option available. The primary reason to use it is to be able to take advantage of the Holley 390 carb but with EFI it’s a different story. We’re going to be doing a comparative flow bench test of the Offey vs a ported and modified stock 2 bbl intake...my engine guys are betting that the stock intake will win.
This is exactly what needs to be done. Atta baby. I was just shy of doing the 2 barrel Holley EFI with the stock intake manifold but submitted to conventional thinking by using the 390 because I didn't have the ability to test the differences between the Offy and stock manifold. This could be a game changer with these engines. Can't wait to hear about your results.

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
There are some that are convinced the entire Holley/Offy thing is about looks. That a stock intake and Ford 2 bbl carb make as much power as the expensive beautiful parts. Me, I don't know, but tend to be suspicious.

Bill
The little bit I know about this stuff makes me dangerous but the limiting factor in the equation is the engine itself...from what I understand, at 100% volumetric efficiency it can only handle about 270 cfm at 5500 rpm...if the stock manifold can be made to flow that much with some work (closing up the EGR ports, porting, etc) then the Holley 390 is a waste...so will be the EFI as well but it has many other advantages also. At the end of the day it’s possible that it will take as many or more $ to go this route because of the machine work involved...

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
What's the difference between the Holley and FITech units?
Performance wise probably about the same but Fitech has a reputation for horrible customer service...if everything works correctly you probably wouldn’t notice the difference between the two.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Performance wise probably about the same but Fitech has a reputation for horrible customer service...if everything works correctly you probably wouldn’t notice the difference between the two.
Here's another story I have a V8 Alpine with Crate motor from Blue Print engines on researching FI for that motor I talked to BP answer was Sniper we get more performance with Holly than others. And I asked about Fitech and others and the answer was Holly.

Rockonp04

Donation Time
The little bit I know about this stuff makes me dangerous but the limiting factor in the equation is the engine itself...from what I understand, at 100% volumetric efficiency it can only handle about 270 cfm at 5500 rpm...if the stock manifold can be made to flow that much with some work (closing up the EGR ports, porting, etc) then the Holley 390 is a waste...so will be the EFI as well but it has many other advantages also. At the end of the day it’s possible that it will take as many or more $ to go this route because of the machine work involved...
The good news is Holley makes a 2 barrel EFI which is right in this CFM range. The injectors are suited perfectly for this engine. In terms of cost, you will have to get the emission holes filled and have an adapter put on for the Holley bolt pattern because there is an emission adapter that is fitted to the original intake. Not too much added cost. Now I am kicking myself for not doing this when I had the chance.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
ROck, Don't kick yourself too much! This is called progress:)

Nothing like this was available back when....

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill, looking forward to your intake comparison! What cam are you going to use?
Actually haven't decided on the cam yet...something we're talking about right now....hoping to use a roller cam but not yet sure if there are any suitable roller rockers, lifters, etc., that will work in the 2.8

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
The Comp cam Dan R used is a good performance cam. You could go custom flat bar mount roller rockers oiling through hollow pushrods, SBF link bar roller lifters and billet roller cam for big bucks $$$!

Last edited:

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
Progress update...mock-up is moving forward. We have finally settled on the peddle configuration. We are using DanR's peddle extension link to move the throttle cable location into the correct position for the V6. Instead of using the stock Sunbeam gas peddle we grafted on a peddle from a 69 Mustang. The pedal itself is spring mounted and stays in a vertical position providing better foot feel than the little stock pedal with its curved surface. Since we are installing an automatic transmission we moved the stock brake pedal over to the original clutch position and also rotated the pedal itself from vertical to horizontal to provide a little more side to side surface area for hitting the pedal. Personally, I think one of the quirkiest things about a Sunbeam are the little "kiddie car" pedals...since this is a modified car, we tried to make some improvements along those lines.

We have also got the heater location and mounting sorted out. We are using the Old Air Products Hurricane unit which also has A/C. It appears that it is going to work out very well.

Attachments

• Pedals.jpg
    Pedals.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Pedals Heater.jpg
    Pedals Heater.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 127
  • heater dash.jpg
    heater dash.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 125

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
Some more progress....all the structural work is nearly done. Interior is epoxy primed and a coat of Lizard Skin applied. The cross member is back from the powder coater and ready to start assembly of the front end. After a year of rust repair, structural upgrades and mods to accommodate the 2.8 V6 and A4LD transmission, we're actually about ready to start body and paint work!

Attachments

• Cross Member.jpg
    Cross Member.jpg
    665.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Lizard Skin Floors.jpg
    Lizard Skin Floors.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Some more progress....all the structural work is nearly done. Interior is epoxy primed and a coat Lizard Skin applied. The cross member is back from the powder coater and ready to start assembly of the front end. After a year of rust repair, structural upgrades and mods to accommodate the 2.8 V6 and A4LD transmission, we're actually about ready to start body and paint work!
Perfect!

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
A little more progress....underside priming and Lizard skin application while still on the rotisserie. Also, final mockup of fitting the SV rear end...fabbing the upper shock mounts. Perceptive viewers will note a couple of things....we fabbed a combo transmission mount and reinforcement plate for the x-frame...my metal guy got carried away with the water jet and cut his initials in the plate for those wondering what that’s all about. Also, we’ve run a couple of tubes along the passenger side to accommodate the EFI fuel lines...still have a bit of trimming to do but getting close...probably over kill but I’ll feel better knowing they are protected. Also, you can see where we removed the battery box...couldn’t figure out an easy way to route the exhausts around it...battery is going in the trunk.
F22ACAB5-9AC6-449D-9F9E-EBBD6F6E9DE0.jpeg6FC7152B-9E95-4B26-B35D-A45A981835BA.jpeg EA7476CE-012F-4765-A9C4-9E3E10D069CE.jpeg33F2647B-0392-473C-AEC0-B3EB78B0BD4A.jpeg

Last edited:

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
Worked on the rear shock mounts. The car is being upgraded to a SV suspension so we are doing the appropriate mods to facilitate that. We initially started down the path of a approach similar to what others have done to fit tubular shocks to early series cars but, since we had a late series donor car, we decided to integrate the shock mount sheet metal from the donor into our build.

Attachments

• Rear Shock6.jpg
    Rear Shock6.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Rear Shock3.jpg
    Rear Shock3.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Rear Shock 4.jpeg
    Rear Shock 4.jpeg
    317.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Rear Shock1.jpg
    Rear Shock1.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 72

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
we fabbed a combo transmission mount and reinforcement plate for the x-frame.

Bill, In a word of caution, your plate may interfere with the transmission (A4LD) output shaft housing when installing the engine and tranny due to the length.... don't have to tell you how tight things are in there do I ? :)