• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

The Future of Gas Powered Cars for Hobbyists

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I guess I wanna know, in this new world of eco-cars, how the h*ll I'm gonna be able to do that with a battery powered car or SUV?
I have always been surprised that the world of electric/hybrid vehicles took so long to get to trucks. The truck platform seems so ideal for electrification. But, that appears to be changing very quickly.

Just FWIW: https://www.barrons.com/articles/ford-electric-f-150-lightning-review-51633804695

Also, https://www.hotcars.com/heres-why-were-so-excited-about-the-new-ford-maverick-pickup/

Neither of these may be right for your needs at the moment, but it does suggest that you will be able to get your boat from Point A to B, even in the brave new world of eco-cars.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Drove from Los Angeles area to the SUNI event. Average speed 75 miles an hour time stopped 42 minutes. The exact mileage but it was around 1600 maybe my co-driver will chime in.
Try that in an electric car.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The elephants in the electric vehicle room are the paucity of charging facilities and the length of time required for a "fill-up." Not an issue for a 100 mile day trip, but a deal breaker for a 500 mile each-way long weekend trip to see grandma two states away. I expect that the charging issue will largely disappear in the future, but what will be and what is are very different.

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The elephants in the electric vehicle room are the paucity of charging facilities and the length of time required for a "fill-up." Not an issue for a 100 mile day trip, but a deal breaker for a 500 mile each-way long weekend trip to see grandma two states away. I expect that the charging issue will largely disappear in the future, but what will be and what is are very different.
Including the technology.
Bill

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Ok let's do a paltry 750 mile day without a forced lay over for a below average meal priced at the airport like price that they will charge. Think of the $ involved as too the property values by the charging station do you think the realtors got a finger on the scale or maybe an foot....

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Think of the $ involved as too the property values by the charging station do you think the realtors got a finger on the scale or maybe an foot....

I don't know about realtors, but I kinda wonder if anyone is checking on political relations involved in energy financing and infrastructure.

Seems like a perfect set up for conflict of interest.

You know - "Who guards the guardians?"

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Electric charging stations, I think they are Tesla, recently came to my hometown. They are located a couple hundred yards away from I 70 in a grocery store parking lot. Right next to the store's gas station. No reason to pay more for a meal there than any other place in town, there is a McDonalds and a full service restaurant within easy walking distance. City is the only energy supplier in the area. You guys make it sound like it is tawdry and rife with politics. In truth, it is boring and just another facility in a very busy part of town.

A couple of years ago, we happened to eat lunch way out in Kansas in a restaurant that had a Tesla charging facility beside it. Nice restaurant, good lunch at a good price.

Just thought this thread could use a little truth to go along with the wild eyed, paranoid speculation.

Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Just another look at the future: https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews/a37912066/lucid-air-review/. "520 miles of EPA-certified battery range, plus a 9.9-second, 144-mph rip through the quarter-mile."

Yeah, it is going to cost $140,000+, but I remember when a run of the mill VCR cost $1000. It has been less than 10 years since Tesla introduced the S. I think there is still a lot of room for development in this industry.

Disclaimer: I thought hybrids were only an interim technology that would quickly fall by the wayside. I also thought fuel cells were the answer and would dominate the next generation of automotive technology. So, in other words: what the hell do I know?

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
.................Kind of like horse drawn wagons can't go everywhere anymore.

A few years ago, I was in India (in a hired car and driver) on a 6 lane highway between Delhi and Agra. All of a sudden our driver abruptly slowed, changed lanes and passed a camel pulling a cart. Who knows whar will happen here?

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just thought this thread could use a little truth to go along with the wild eyed, paranoid speculation.

Bill,

????????

I've seen a lot of discussion in this thread that covers a lot of ground, but nothing recent, I could pigeon-hole under your description. I've seen discussions involving pluses and minuses of electric vehicles, discussions of examples of vehicle usages and doubts about the capabilities of EV's to accomplish the same deeds, speculation about the future, as compared to what is presently known about EV's, some comments that I took to be humorous, and some SKEPTICAL speculation about WHY some politicians MIGHT HAVE more going on than just the good of the world in this extreme, mandated technological changeover.

I'll guess there are many viewers of this thread that might guess the last Federal government might have had a bit of an illicit under current. I might even be one of them. I have no doubt the current administration, from certain viewpoints, could be viewed the same way. I am aware of at least one proposal the current POTUS made on camera, that is so far removed from the Rights declared by the Constitution, I hope it is never proposed as a Law. I effectively don't see much difference in either party's members, just their aims, methods, and goals. To me, it's amazing how willing people are to believe information about any person without doubts about the veracity of the claims. I certainly don't have any "second sight" about any particular background to investigate.

The point? I would appreciate a bit more oversite concerning the fiscal trails being followed by people elected, and supposedly, working for the total electorate - not just one party. This should be at both State and Federal levels. It's really a bit eye opening to see some of the changes of some politicians' net worth while in office. Will it happen, probably not in the near future. Maybe never.

At the bottom line, this thread is about as constructive and meaningful as discussing the weather. Informative, but no one has forwarded a creditable proposal on how to change either environment for better or worse.

You have any bits of wisdom on the world?

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/news/california-law-bans-small-off-174600432.html

https://news.yahoo.com/tennessee-treasurer-strongly-opposes-irs-160000869.html

Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Wow... Could have said they all have a cat in the fight. Or two bad for the two honest lawyers involved. I want reparations for the emotional damage caused by the cold war and all the times they said we'd be flooded and dead in 10 years. I'll stop now. IMHO this thread is hopelessly intertwined with politics BUT I'm a big boy and can take it when others don't agree with me :)

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Guys: "The Future of Gas Powered Cars for Hobbyists" is certainly a legitimate topic for us to discuss, but I have been concerned since it started that it might be impossible to keep it non-political. We'll have to lock this down if that proves to be the case, although I would prefer not to do that. In the meantime, let's all remember the first rule of our Forum Policies and Expectations (http://sunbeamalpine.org/saoca-by-laws/):
  1. Respect fellow Club members at all times! Above all else, this is the key rule for keeping our forum friendly and welcoming. The SAOCA is a collection of Alpine enthusiasts from all backgrounds and from across the globe. Experience and expertise ranges from complete novices just dipping their toes in classic car ownership to seasoned professionals with years of experience maintaining and restoring cars. This diversity is the Club’s strength and members are expected to respect each other at all times. Any forum posts which the Board, Administrators or Moderators (simply referred to as “Moderators” from here on) feel violate this respect will be edited or deleted and members who repeatedly violate this guideline will be removed from the club.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
One simple Fact: In my area of So Cal, in about a 20 mile diameter, THEY have built 4 NEW GAS stations!

AND TWO more in the works.

And those are just the ones I know of...

What does that tell you?

Last edited:

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
What oil do I use in my carb and OD transmission? …and what brake fluid is best? …and what jets work best in a Weber? …and do nuts get torqued with or without oil on the threads?

(Just thought I’d make this thread a little less controversial.)

;):):cool::D

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here is my beef with California's mandates eliminating internal combustion engines. The state does not generate enough electricity to reliably supply all of its residents today. How will they supply an even larger demand when they force everything to run off of electricity? You need to build whatever production capacity is needed before you cut off everyone's gasoline consumption.

Last edited:

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
One simple Fact: In my area of So Cal, in about a 20 mile diameter, THEY have built 4 NEW GAS stations!

AND TWO more in the works.

And those are just the ones I know of...

What does that tell you?

Wild guess - station owners are trying to have preexisting establishments in place before new construction bans, due to extended technology change over?
Maybe having a thought to convert to charging stations as the need arises, because charging times are longer than fill-up times. The longer times will require more charge points to maintain the vehicle through put at near the same level.

What oil do I use in my carb and OD transmission? …and what brake fluid is best? …and what jets work best in a Weber? …and do nuts get torqued with or without oil on the threads?

(Just thought I’d make this thread a little less controversial.)

;):):cool::D

I've had my pop corn ready for a while, now.