• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

The Dukes Car

barringtonderby

Donation Time
Hi

I thought I'd start a new thread being new to the group and excited about a restoration I am about to commence

I have bought (almost) an early HLM - it's on the register but hasn't seen the light of day for 29 years when it was stripped by it's owner after which a restoration was started as yet not completed

Anyway - I thought it would be neat to restore the car exactly to (or as near as) the spec of Prince William the Duke of Gloucester's car which I am guessing you all know as it appears in many books?

I have already written to HRH Prince Richard (Williams surviving brother) and received two very nice letters. We still don't know the registration number or the exact Colour - Ian Spencer reckons it was Wimbledon Blue

Other things I know:

RHD spec early HLM with the rear vents
Egg box grill
None peaked headlamp rings which are either Huskey or late Tiger / Alpine?
Full leather interior with centre console and radio
Wimbledon blue - a custom special order color
Two fog lamps fitted to the front bumper
A silver statue of a hunting dog fitted to the bonnet (probably won't go this far)
Stage 3 engine tune

Not sure what Colour interior was
Cars whereabouts are unknown
Car registration unknown

HRH Prince Richard doesn't know what happened to the car but explained that sometime after William had the HLM he got a job in the US and took a Lotus Elan with him - he may have one or two pics in Colour which I am trying to persuade him to scan for me / us

So does anyone have any info? Any pics?:)

I am still missing the lower quarter chrome finishers if anyone has some?:rolleyes:

Come on team!

Harrington Jan

Donation Time
Registration number was 626 DLO Registered in London NW, probably Rootes London office. Car is not in DVLA register.