• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

The bolt

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Folks,
Trying to get the engine put back together but I'm running into one thing after another, this time it's the bolt that holds the oil pick up to the journal cap, do I have the wrong pick up? If not where besides the bone yard can one of these be found.
Thanks, Tom j

pcmenten

Donation Time
You need to edit your post to say which engine you are talking about.

If it's the Ford 2.8 being converted from car to truck oil pan, you'll need a main cap bolt that has the mounting stud in its head. As far as I know it is NLA, so you'll have to source one from either a truck engine or from the 4.0 with windage tray.

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Oops, 74 Mustang ll 2.8 , I got windage tray bolts but they were not correct .
How have others worked around this problem ?

Tom j

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
You need to edit your post to say which engine you are talking about.

If it's the Ford 2.8 being converted from car to truck oil pan, you'll need a main cap bolt that has the mounting stud in its head. As far as I know it is NLA, so you'll have to source one from either a truck engine or from the 4.0 with windage tray.

Can the 1970's 2.8 oil pump bracket be attached with the normal main cap bolt bolt?

(Tom - HANDY ACE in Tucker may be the best supply of metric bolts in metro Atlanta. I think they will also order bolts.)

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
I don't think I would be comfortable doing that, for 1 the hole in the tube mount would not leave much , and I'd rather have the cap bolt tightened on the cap. Something will come up, it just slows an already slow rebuild.
Tom j

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I don't think I would be comfortable doing that, for 1 the hole in the tube mount would not leave much , and I'd rather have the cap bolt tightened on the cap. Something will come up, it just slows an already slow rebuild.
Tom j

I took a main cap bolt to Handy Ace in Tucker and checked whether they had a comparable cap bolt.

They did not.

I checked the bolt for size. Their closest match is M12 x 1.75 x 75, which is a mm or so shorter than the factory main cap bolt. I'm unsure of the metric equivalent to "Grade 8" but it is 10.8 or 10.something.

A cap bolt in this size remains elusive but a couple of alternatives come to mind.

Alternative #1 is a "stepped stud" 80mm long or so, plus the smaller, stepped portion to be used to anchor the oil pump.

I'm haven't found a supply of these so far.

Alternative #2 involves a machine shop. The head of a main cap bolt could be tapped for a small stud, or for a small bolt.

The machine shop option would likely be expensive - possibly a bit less so if the shop did a few.

I would think a full service machine shop such as Capitol Machine Shop in the Norcross/Pleasantdale Road area could do it. They don't do automotive work but have been helpful with various "one off" requests the past several years.

I will try to see them next week.

Let me know if you should find either cap bolts or stepped studs in the needed size, and I will do the same, and of any interest in a joint order should Capitol be willing and able.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tom, Please forgive, I haven't paid much attention to you delemia with the bolt. I many have a spare..... Check tomorrow,

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Dan,
If not I think I will weld a small bolt to the head of the cap bolt I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Tom j

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Tom,

Rather than welding another bolt to your main cap bolt, why not have the head drilled and tapped about .125" deep into the head of the bolt, then have it tapped to fit a small stud into the hole, with Loktite red (stud and bearing mount) and forget it?

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I dropped the oil pan on my mystery motor to see which bolt was used.

It has a pump that doesn't have a brace, just 2 bolts through the pump's base into the block and a pickup screen.

It has "HP" stamped into the base and a tag affixed with the following identification : HM87 933054

Odd pump perhaps; the 1970's 2.8 block's factory pump and the later year Melling pump have a stabilizer brace.

But machine shops can modify a main bolt to add a stud for use in attaching a brace, if that is needed.

It probably would look like this:

bolt.JPG

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Donation Time
What are the bolt dimensions? I have 100's of internal engine bolts and studs hanging around from when I owned the machine shop. Chances are I might have something that would work.

I'm not real keen on drilling a main bolt or welding to it. I would far rather see you drill the main web and go with a longer bracket. I have drilled steel main caps before, but in this case I probably isn't the best plan

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
What are the bolt dimensions? I have 100's of internal engine bolts and studs hanging around from when I owned the machine shop. Chances are I might have something that would work.

I'm not real keen on drilling a main bolt or welding to it. I would far rather see you drill the main web and go with a longer bracket. I have drilled steel main caps before, but in this case I probably isn't the best plan

M12 x 1.75 x 78

These are scarce. I'd certainly be interested in one.

My machine shop charges $60 to drill and tap a main bolt for a stud to correspond to the brace for the later 2.8l Melling high performance oil pump.

The 1970's blocks are already tapped for a bolt used by a long pickup - based on the oil pan turned in the opposite direction.

So maybe a pump's brace could be fab'ed to reach the factory drilled bolt hole that is no longer needed after the oil pan is turned around.

Another option is to select an oil pump that doesn't require a brace, such as the pump described earlier in this thread.

Sabertooth

Donation Time
I will take a look, not a lot of metric stuff, but you never know. Another option might be to weld a brace to a head bolt washer and use one of the main bolts as is with the washer. This would be no different than a stud with a washer as far as clamp load goes.

Sabertooth

Donation Time
I went through my bolt bucket. I dont have any metric bolts of this dimension. Pretty much everything else though.