• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

tappety inlet valve

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have one inlet valve which won't hold its adjustment.
The valve clearance keeps opening up slightly, enough to bother me with its tappety noise.
The clearance never gets less, always more. All other valves seem to hold their adjustment OK. I've fitted a full set of new adjusters/locknuts, but rockers and pushrods are old.

What is my engine trying to tell me?

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
If everything visibly looks okay, then maybe its something you can't see. The cam lobe, perhaps???? Maybe you could measure the lobe height with a dial indicator and monitor the value over time?
Jan

RootesRacer

Donation Time
You might pull the rockers and look to see if they are stem grooved, which will prevent a proper adjustment since the groove imparts additional clearance that cant be measured with normal feeler gauges.

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
Update
I've now fitted a new set of pushrods (from SS) and it seems to have fixed the tappety problem.

Some of the old ones were (unevenly) worn in the "upper cup", meaning that it was just about impossible to set the clearances accurately.

Rick said that it was a fairly common problem...