• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tank alignment

Lolat324

Donation Time
Hello all, during it's absence from my family ( sold by the original owner, my dad, in 1977, found and brought home by me, in 2017) , my 63 Srs 3 Gt had it two tanks removed and restored. Upon re-installation two issues though they are likely related. First there is a gas smell, that when the car is parked nose up on a hill, turns into a leak (right side tank of the two). The other issue is the alignment or fitment of the right tank-the filler nozzle does not sit properly in the opening in the right rear fender..So is there adjustment to change how the tank sits in the fender? Looks like the hose clamps connection the two tanks and the cross pipe, seal things up by compressing rubber collars-might be a simple thing of tightening them up? Just looking for thoughts/ guidance. I appreciate it.

ALC 68A

Donation Time
The rubber sleeves do perish and leak over time, so try tightening the Jubilee clips as a first step. If necessary, replacement rubbers are available from Sunbeam Specialties.

A similar problem with my Series 3 was caused by a pin hole rusted in the angled pipe section linking the straight pipe and the tank outlet. Apparently this is not uncommon and a replacement stainless steel pipe set is available in the UK, but I was able to get an unrusted spare section.

Dismantling and reassembling the pipes is not an easy job, but there is a very useful guide in the tech section of this website.

Another possibility for your problem is that the narrow breather pipe that links the tops of the two tanks through the rear deck panel is missing, disconnected or leaking inside the hidden section.

Regarding the misaligned tank, try slackening the bolts on the tank brackets. That might give you enough movement to adjust the fit of the filler neck within the opening in the wing.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Regarding the misaligned tank, try slackening the bolts on the tank brackets. That might give you enough movement to adjust the fit of the filler neck within the opening in the wing.

Just be careful when doing this . If the rubber sleeves are weak, they can split / break and then you have a massive gas leak.
Try doing it when your tanks are almost empty. Even then the tanks hold more gas then you'd think.

Cheers!
Steve

Lolat324

Donation Time
Thank you for the replies. I'll check the vent. I have drained all the gas out of the tanks. I'm also dealing with a rear taillight/brake light issue-nothing says fun like a gas leak and a dead short..

Lolat324

Donation Time
More on my tank issues-I checked all the rubber boots-looks like they are new-but the hose clamps were generally loose,a few very loose-taking 5 or more full turns to snug up, so I snugged them up. The vent line was there. But the hole clamp securing it to the pipe end was off. So I put it back on an snugged it up. (I have drained the tanks). I also discovered that a good source of my gas smell was that the area under the right tank had 55 years of accumulated dust. Add the leak from the loose pipe rubber fittings and that layer of dust was smelly-a long qtip trying to fix out a dropped washer brought back up a gas smelling wad of dust. So I figured out a way to clean that area.
Next question-the vent line-looks new-but it seem to run forward and then in a channel under the rear cowl? I have a Srs 3 gt, so a removal hardtop-seems like an odd place to run a smelly vent. Ideas where it should go? I'm heading to the tech articles on this site.
Thanks again, Brian

65beam

Donation Time
The tank vent hooks to the left tank and does run thru the body panel where the trunk hinges are mounted. This vent hose then hooks to the vent tube on the rubber filler neck hose on the right tank. I use fuel line for this vent.

Lolat324

Donation Time
The tank vent hooks to the left tank and does run thru the body panel where the trunk hinges are mounted. This vent hose then hooks to the vent tube on the rubber filler neck hose on the right tank. I use fuel line for this vent.
Thank you, there is my source of smell-this vent pipe ends about the middle of the rear window.