• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tacho needle removal

JColes

Donation Time
I am currently refurbishing my dash, can anyone tell me how to remove the indicator needle from an old speedometer? I want to transfer it to my rev counter as the colour perfecty matches the other instrument needles.
Many thanks
JC

Peter macdonald

Donation Time
Re instruments

I have just remover all my gauges cleaned the glass and lightly painted all the needles with painted from a model boat/plane shop. Very economical in the small tins of paint.
Regards
Peter

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Good suggestion by Peter. But if you must remove the needle- just pull - carefully- but just pull.

Tom H

Wombat

Donation Time
Once you have the speedo apart, turn the needle by hand. you will see an aluminium disc that turns with it. Hold this with one hand and twist and pull the needle (gently!!). Would also be worthwile making some marks on the tach so you can put the new needle back in the same place.

The paint solution looks easier.

alpine_64

Donation Time
just be careful how thickly you apply the paint, as crazy as this sounds, the change in weight apparently can cause issue with how the gauge reads. Until i pulled a fuel gauge appart and saw how thin the needle is i wouldnt have believed it, tach and speedo migh tbe different, but i assume the same applies. There is an article on the net (teae) that explains how to do it.

Wombat

Donation Time
True, the needles are very thin, little more than alfoil folded over into a U shape, so handle carefully and apply as little paint as you can. A couple of years ago, I painted the needles of my non-Sunbeam. They would still balance on the end of the boss that presses on the end of the spindle, but the balance of them is something to watch for.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Having broken one in the past the needle is attached to the piece on the shaft by little melted over plastic pins so I use a pair of needle nose with curved jaws that I can slide under the needle and gently pry up against it while resting on the face.