• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

T5: 3rd Gear

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Is it just me or is 3rd gear at times difficult to find? Granted I've only put a few miles on my car since getting it on the road last month but it sure seems 3rd gear is a bit allusive. The tranny shifts and downshifts great. All gears, 1-5 and reverse work fine, no noise. Sometimes I shift right into 3rd no problem, but sometimes I'll either slip into 1st or shift up into an area that looks like it should be 3rd or 4th but there is no gear engaged, more like its in nuetral.

Anyhow, could be just me and the tranny does work great so I was just curious if someone else would say 'hey, I'm experiencing the same thing with 3rd gear sometimes!'.

Also, it was suggested that I change the shifter over to something from Hust. Maybe that was not only for quicker shifting but also more 'accurate' shifting,?

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yep, I have had the same experience w/ the later v6 trans,t5.
Recently embarrassed myself in front of my brothers and nephews. They already thought the Alpine was a strange car? being none of them can get in it. Now they just look at me and laugh

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yep, I have had the same experience w/ the later v6 trans,t5.
Recently embarrassed myself in front of my brothers and nephews. They already thought the Alpine was a strange car? being none of them can get in it. Now they just look at me and laugh

Oh good, I'm not the only one pretending I didn't just blow my coolness by missing a gear :)

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Sometimes at a stop I have to put mine in 2nd then into first. On the other end, sometimes before I can get into reverse I put it in 5th, then reverse.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike, if you place the shifter in neutral, then with the palm of your hand, shove the shifter forward, what gear is it in? With every 5 speed I've driven (T5 only once) you'd be in 3rd. If it is not a clean 3rd gear entry, I'd suspect a worn shifter or shifter rods.

Bill

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Sometimes at a stop I have to put mine in 2nd then into first. On the other end, sometimes before I can get into reverse I put it in 5th, then reverse.

Hi buddy, hope all is well.

Ya, I do the same thing. I think it's an old habit from when I used to drive a non-synchro tranny.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Mike, The factory shifter does not have positive stops and the shift forks can get bent. Also the aftermarket shifters have a spring to assist 2nd to 3rd. I have had good luck with the $40 Ebay Mustang T5 shifter. Not too fond of the boy racer colored shift lever. Try to find the silver or black one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RACING-SHOR...-T5-T45-SN95-/401127837244?fits=Model:Mustang

Nice, thanks Jim. That looks like you could literally just pop that in place of the stock, pretty easy.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Mike, if you place the shifter in neutral, then with the palm of your hand, shove the shifter forward, what gear is it in? With every 5 speed I've driven (T5 only once) you'd be in 3rd. If it is not a clean 3rd gear entry, I'd suspect a worn shifter or shifter rods.

Bill

Thanks Bill I'll check that out. My tranny had very little confirmable history, it may well have been abused before I got it. At least it seemed to shift thru the gears smoothly and appeared pretty clean inside but then again I'm sure must be at least some normal wear and tear.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Tempted to buy and install one of these this weekend. Not to quick shift (I drive like an old lady:) ) but more to put an end to the embarrassing missed 3rd gear shifts, though I have the feeling that if I was driving the car more often than just a short trip to a car show once a week, shifting into 3rd would become routine.

Anyone else using one of these units, or similar?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Mike,

One of these shifters is exactly what you need for slicker shifting. Holley makes one, as does Pro 5.0. They have shift stops and keep you from doing damage to the internals of the transmission. It would be a good investment.

Tempted to buy and install one of these this weekend. Not to quick shift (I drive like an old lady:) ) but more to put an end to the embarrassing missed 3rd gear shifts, though I have the feeling that if I was driving the car more often than just a short trip to a car show once a week, shifting into 3rd would become routine.

Anyone else using one of these units, or similar?

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi Mike,

One of these shifters is exactly what you need for slicker shifting. Holley makes one, as does Pro 5.0. They have shift stops and keep you from doing damage to the internals of the transmission. It would be a good investment.

Hi Jose, thanks.

Do you have a preference for manufacturer or do they all pretty much work the same?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I like the pro 5.0, but the Holly is, or was, a bit cheaper. The one in the picture looks good too. Any of them will be a lot better than the stock shifter.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Mike, Simple replacement. When you pull the old one out check the condition of the nylon ball seat. I usually wipe off and apply a bit of Moly grease(CV joint grease). After installation adjust stops to just touch when shifted and pushed firmly into third and fourth, tighten lock nuts. Should be a little gap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCAlwVPIGkI

Last edited:

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
Mike,
Your new shifter looks just like the one in my V6 Alpine with T5.

A tip not mentioned in the instructions is to put Threadlock on the 4 screws that secure the middle section. I did not and while driving, the top section came loose and I had to shift with the stem that goes into the transmission. :mad:

Though not difficult to shift, it was distracting until I found a place to pull over and reconnect the thing. The screws have not loosened since I put Threadlock on them. :eek:

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Mike,

A tip not mentioned in the instructions is to put Threadlock on the 4 screws that secure the middle section. I did not and while driving, the top section came loose and I had to shift with the stem that goes into the transmission. :mad:

Though not difficult to shift, it was distracting until I found a place to pull over and reconnect the thing. The screws have not loosened since I put Threadlock on them. :eek:

Thanks! Thread lock it is then.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Mike,

Thanks! Thread lock it is then.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time