• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

T-5

Wombat

Donation Time
Cant be sure about the US, but my early 1980's OZ built Falcon uses a sensor that bolts to the gearbox and has a pinion that is driven by a gear on the gearbox output shaft the same as a cable setup. The sensor produces pulses that drive the electronics of the speedo head. Ford OZ probably followed the lead of Head Office in the US.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Jose
Does it work like a tach generator? The old tach generators I have worked with on aircraft are a bit cumbersome. I cut the tunnel tonight so the first cut jitters are overwith. I am fabricating a new side panel for the tunnel rather than the push it over method. I enjoy fabricating sheetmetal and thought I'd be different.

Rick
Hi Rick,

I don't think it is a tach generator. It is just an electronic revolution counter, that gets connected to the speedometer, which then reads the impulses and calculates the speed.

I have found them to be quite reliable.

Jose :)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rick, the Vision speedo can use a sensor that operates off the speedometer cable, it generates a pulsed electrical signal. When space is tight, you can punt, using the magnets to the same thing.

As I understand the tach generators, the generator has a very linear DC output which the tach responds to. The Vision counts pulses and of course, is calibrated by the user.

Nearly all aftermarket speedomters offer the features Jose mentioned, but as far as can be determined, the VDO Vision is the only one that will fit the Alpine dash opening.

Bill

skywords

Donation Time
Cool I shall check out those options. "The VDO Vision" is this the one that Rob Wiseman used in his V-6 car? White faced as I recall.

Rick

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The Visions currently available are black (including bezel) with white numbers and red pointers.

Bill

britbeam

Donation Time
I have the Ford Turbo Coupe T5 and used VDO gauges with custom bezels. The original electronic sender that was with the tranny worked with the VDO. I calibrated with a GPS on the open road and it was so easy.Its February 8 th and Im drivin that Alpine to work this morning. Sometimes you just have to take time to enjoy the drive.
Dwain V6 Krazy