• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Synthetic oil

66Alpine

Donation Time
hey to everyone,

I have recently been told by many people that I should use Syn. oil in my 89' 300ZX and in the 66'alpine..one other mechanic says that he heard from a Mobil
rep.says that in very old cars there could be a problem with leaky seals...Anyone out there have a thought on that??

Thanks, Johnny

Pumpkin

Donation Time
synthic oil

I will get blasted on this one Johhny,, But snake oil will not cross my fenders!:eek:
Plain and simple.. So all that think differently ,, go ahead and say it. I do not believe in high test gas for any vehical and the only good fuel is race fuel,, add some nitro to it and smells wonderfull. The only perfume one needs.
Chuck

Nickodell

Donation Time
AVGAS and aircraft dope smell even better.

Then there's the famous line from the movie Christine that I'm not dumb enough to write in full: "Nothing smells better than a new car. 'cept maybe *****"

Pumpkin

Donation Time
avgas

AVGAS and aircraft dope smell even better.

Then there's the famous line from the movie Christine that I'm not dumb enough to write in full: "Nothing smells better than a new car. 'cept maybe *****"

OH shucks, I forgot that, I used to aquire 100/130 from the air base I was stationed , for my 41 Plymouth, , 53 Dodge red ram engine 3/4 cam and full lift rear end.. Then, I would cuise Broadway looking for ( no not hookers) some one the run with, pull the chock abit and letter cough a bit, then ask someone to run you for a fiver,, Then push the choke in.. Made a few buck tillI was run out of town by some big guys,,:) And I do remember the full line...;)

Chuck

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
After a significant break in (60,000+) on any newer cars (newer meaning the last 20-25 years) syns are a great way to go. I just hit 100,00 on my Ford Ranger and I'm going to Amsoil and filter on the next change.

http://www.amsoil.com/

I grew up smelling aircraft dope while I slept. Starduster Too wings drying in the living room.

:)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've never used a synthetic oil. Never really saw the need. In my experience, engines outlast the rest of the car.

The rap against synthetics in old engines is increased leakage, sometimes leaking when dino oil does not. As far as I'm concerned, the only reason to use the stuff is if it gives superior extreme pressure wear protection. As for wear, I've gone over 250,000 miles on dino oil with no engine wear problems. However, the new "sunburst" car oil does not have the extreme pressure additives the old cars need to prevent increased cam wear. This goes double if you have a high performance cam. Currently, Diesel engine oil still has a good EP package. That's why a lot of old car owners are using it.

Bill

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
In stock applications, synthetic oils are not mandatory. I have used dino oil for decades, with good results, but if you are wanting better mileage from your car, synthetic is better. If you live in a very hot climate, synthetic is better, and if you have a high performance engine, that runs on the warm side, synthetic oil is mandatory.

My turbocharged Alpine had the stock oil pan, with its 4.5 quarts of oil, and when I would run down I-5 at 90 mph. through the San Juaquin valley, the oil temp would get up to 230 degrees, because the oil capacity wasn't enough to keep it cool. Dino oil will begin to burn at 230 degrees, but synthetic oil won't burn till over 400 degrees. My engine never missed a beat, and when I finally took it apart to rebuild it, it all looked like new inside. To me, synthetic oil is worth the extra money for extra piece of mind. I drive my cars HARD, so I need an oil that will protect my investment.

If someone wants to use dino oil, I recommend using Kendall oil. It is the best there is, in my opinion.

Jose :)

serIIalpine

Donation Time
I always post this when the talk of oils comes up.

I found this article on line. While the article is specifically about porsches and other air cooled engines pretty much all of the same principles apply: our engines need more protection than what most standard motor oils provide- phosphorous and zinc.

Kendall is rated high on the list as is royal purple which is what I use.

Take a look:

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

Eric

'62 SerII

PaulK

Gold Level Sponsor
I have had Amsoil in my 97 wrangler sense 1500 miles, with 140000 on it now I still go 15000 between filter changes and only add oil with the new filter. I have never drained it just added what I takes to top it off with filter change. I have a dual filter arrangement so when changing filters it takes 1.5 qts. I also send in an oil sample for analysis. I spend about $40. per year this way.
Every vehicle I have has Amsoil in it, Alpine excluded, the engine is not in the car.
Amsoil 0W30 Is good for 1 year or 35000 miles which ever comes first with standard filter setup. With the dual filter one is standard and the other is a .25 micron bypass filter. Oil can stay in the engine until is does not pass the oil analysis test for viscosity, assiduity and lubricity.
I love the stuff, after those big round airplane engines that blow harder than they suck have been using it sense day one.

Paul

Paul