• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Switch Orientation

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Are the switches on the dash all suppose to be in the down position, or up? I thought I had read something about the designer being a pilot and he wanted the dash to look like a cockpit so he oriented all the switches a certain way,?

alpine_64

Donation Time
The switches all face up when they are off. You click them down to activate.

I have noticed many USA restorations put them the other way... But apparently many stateside hone light switches work that way too. But from factory you click them down to activate.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
The switches all face up when they are off. You click them down to activate.

I have noticed many USA restorations put them the other way... But apparently many stateside hone light switches work that way too. But from factory you click them down to activate.

Thank you Michael.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Hmmmm. Now I find that interesting. Before changing mine though, will wait to see a little more input. Cause, I don't know the answer to this..............
Would seem a bit odd, but not the oddest thing the Brits have ever done. ;)

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hmmmm. Now I find that interesting. Before changing mine though, will wait to see a little more input. Cause, I don't know the answer to this..............
Would seem a bit odd, but not the oddest thing the Brits have ever done. ;)

I agree - not the oddest thing the Brits have done.

My vote: My series V switches are all up when off.

Mike

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Is the cockpit story true? I still think I read about that on this forum somewhere and the switches were oriented only a certain way because of it.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
The explanation I have heard, and which makes some sense, is that the Brit convention of UP being the OFF position on an electrical switch, derives from the home light switches, where it was deemed somewhat safer, or better, to have the switch that way so that if someone in the home had gotten shocked and knocked down by an electrical fault, they could better turn the switch off while lying on the floor - tossing a shoe at it or pushing UP on a broomstick or whatever. I have never heard any explanation as to why the US convention is OFF is Down.

Tom

alpine_64

Donation Time
The explanation I have heard, and which makes some sense, is that the Brit convention of UP being the OFF position on an electrical switch, derives from the home light switches, where it was deemed somewhat safer, or better, to have the switch that way so that if someone in the home had gotten shocked and knocked down by an electrical fault, they could better turn the switch off while lying on the floor - tossing a shoe at it or pushing UP on a broomstick or whatever. I have never heard any explanation as to why the US convention is OFF is Down.

Tom

That seems ludicrous .... I would go with logic... The easier thing should be the one that is used for the quick, initial Acton. Much easier to walker in a dark room or walk past something and swipe down... Hence switches being down to activate ( in homes) all commonwealth locations are like this ( obviously thanks to UK influence)

I also have seen many USA sunbeams where the tail lights are also upside down... As in brake lights at the top... I kind of get the logic in that... And on late cars it makes no difference.. but have seen people flip the si-3 taillights which makes the reflectors redundant

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Well, if they're supposed to be all in the up position, I only had one that I had to reverse. Now that they're all in the up position I gotta say, it just don't look 'right', I'm gonna leave it, but, ya, looks wrong to me.

If I had an electrician replace all the light switches in my house and he installed them all in the up position (off), I'd make him come back and do it over again. But that's probably just an American thing, could be quit normal over seas.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
I agree with Mike, which ever way is correct, up just doesn't feel "right". I'm leaving mine in the down position. Here in the states, walking into a room, most all light switches are up for on, down for off.

I know, just try driving your house down the street.............Well, I guess if you own a motorhome..............:D

Anyway, down is off for me.

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Just to verify, up is off.

Check the Series V Owner's Handbook:

COMBINED SIDE AND HEADLAMP SWITCH

The switch is pressed down to the halfway position to switch on
the side and tail lamps, and fully down to switch on the headlamps.

PANEL LAMPS SWITCH

Press down to illuminate the instrument panel and lift upwards
to turn off.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Just to verify, up is off.

Check the Series V Owner's Handbook:

COMBINED SIDE AND HEADLAMP SWITCH

The switch is pressed down to the halfway position to switch on
the side and tail lamps, and fully down to switch on the headlamps.

PANEL LAMPS SWITCH

Press down to illuminate the instrument panel and lift upwards
to turn off.

Hi Todd.

I have no doubt that is 'correct' for the car. If I were doing a restoration I would make sure details such as that were followed.

I'm just saying, for me, it still 'looks' wrong.

If I find the 'cockpit' reference again, I'll post it.

65beam

Donation Time
switch

Remember that some folks "down under " are hanging upside down so that may account for switches being backwards.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Remember that some folks "down under " are hanging upside down so that may account for switches being backwards.

While that might be sound logic, the cars are from the UK which last time I checked a globe was in the northern hemisphere ....

I guess it all depends which way you view a globe... No real up or down... Though some people are far more flatworlders than others so I guess we all have to be patient with their confusion... Don't want them falling off the edge of the earth ..... Though they do live in the centre of the sunbeam world we keep getting told so they must be inherently correct.

So Bob are all your switches incorrectly orientated? Not that any of us are questioning your orientation....:rolleyes:

65beam

Donation Time
switch

michael,
Everything on my cars must be right. We're taking home a trophy from the united that says "most desirable" .

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
"most desirable", is that like the "participation" ribbons every kid gets now in sports? Not putting down "Most Desirable".
I better not say too much since my switches are all "dis-orientated".
Not saying that I'm dis-orientated. Just sayin...............
OK, my final say on the matter is: It appears by the book, that up is off.
Still looks and feels wrong to me. So, go ahead and deduct the points............
Have a good evening everyone. Keep the Sunbeam side up, and the darkside down. Wait.........................darkside? hmmmmmm.............

alpine_64

Donation Time
michael,
Everything on my cars must be right. We're taking home a trophy from the united that says "most desirable" .

I guess "right" is a subjective term.... Most desirable is not necessarily "correct" .... But people will always frame things in a way that suits ....